GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term/High Mileage KO4 Setups

sschultz

I've done considerable research on upgrading to a KO4 but have not found any recent posts about how these setups have held up for people. In 2012-13 some have mentioned that they have 100k miles 'and going strong'. I want to keep this car into 150k-200k miles (currently at 64k). Can anyone comment on long-term reliability of KO4 setups with the proper maintenance and relevant upgrades (hpfp, intercooler, exhaust, injectors, etc.)

Mrruss1

Car(s)
GTI
I have a K04 gti with 187k.
I have the receipts for all of the work and it appeares that the car has been running the K04 for about 130k, with all of the work done before 60k
Car runs like a top still.
In the cars life it's need a new cam, hpfp, and pretty much all of the mk5 issues.
That being said it's been kept in amazing condition cosmetically and mechanically
3 inch apr exhaust, apr tune, k04, apr hpfp, apr intercooler

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Its a OEM turbo, you are pushing the bottom end of the engine a bit more but thats all on what tune you choose. It also doesn't deliver its boost in a spurt and fall on its face like the K03 so depending on how aggressive you are on the throttle you can wind it out to high RPM more frequently.

I really don't see the lifespan impacted more than a stage 1/2 tune if good parts and a good tune was used and the driver isnt beating the hell out of the car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I've done considerable research on upgrading to a KO4 but have not found any recent posts about how these setups have held up for people. In 2012-13 some have mentioned that they have 100k miles 'and going strong'. I want to keep this car into 150k-200k miles (currently at 64k). Can anyone comment on long-term reliability of KO4 setups with the proper maintenance and relevant upgrades (hpfp, intercooler, exhaust, injectors, etc.)

K04 is a factory turbo and longevity is very good. I ran mine hard for last 4 years and it was still running strong when I took it down for an engine upgrade/rebuild.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I installed my K04 at 58k miles and at 140k miles now...going on 7 years. Turbo is fine...rebuilt the engine and head at 120k. Was running, and blamed the rebuild on, a DM tune at 26psi for a couple of years prior to the rebuild and have since switched back to my original GIAC K04 HO tune at 22.5 psi. The DM tune, supposedly 30 more HP, never beat my best GIAC 1/4 mi. ET or trap-speed anyhow. As said, it is an oem turbo on other VW and Audi models and will be the aggression of your tune that determines life span and problems if any. For a daily, the K04 is best choice in my opinion. Loads of spunky torque for acceleration and speeds you want to do daily. Plus, you'll surprise nearly every V8 and sport-compact you encounter. The only car to pull on me out there was a drag built fox-body mustang that looked to be heading home from the strip one day.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Was running, and blamed the rebuild on, a DM tune at 26psi for a couple of years prior to the rebuild

You rebuilt due to a DM tune? What happened to your motor?

sschultz

Its a OEM turbo, you are pushing the bottom end of the engine a bit more but thats all on what tune you choose. It also doesn't deliver its boost in a spurt and fall on its face like the K03 so depending on how aggressive you are on the throttle you can wind it out to high RPM more frequently.

I really don't see the lifespan impacted more than a stage 1/2 tune if good parts and a good tune was used and the driver isnt beating the hell out of the car.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for

sschultz

I installed my K04 at 58k miles and at 140k miles now...going on 7 years. Turbo is fine...rebuilt the engine and head at 120k. Was running, and blamed the rebuild on, a DM tune at 26psi for a couple of years prior to the rebuild and have since switched back to my original GIAC K04 HO tune at 22.5 psi. The DM tune, supposedly 30 more HP, never beat my best GIAC 1/4 mi. ET or trap-speed anyhow. As said, it is an oem turbo on other VW and Audi models and will be the aggression of your tune that determines life span and problems if any. For a daily, the K04 is best choice in my opinion. Loads of spunky torque for acceleration and speeds you want to do daily. Plus, you'll surprise nearly every V8 and sport-compact you encounter. The only car to pull on me out there was a drag built fox-body mustang that looked to be heading home from the strip one day.

Cool. So you think the DM tune was too aggressive and caused beat up your internals? What happened?

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
Seeing as you have an 07 if you're looking to do switch to a K04 I'd say stay away from the APR FSI K04 file. Not to start a tuner vs tuner debate but over the first half of this year since I went K04 I've been trying to find and fix issues with low boost, rough idle, hesitations between 1/2 throttle to WOT, plumes of black smoke after sitting at idle, poor gas mileage

Just switched to Unitronic a week back and all my issues are gone. I wouldn't say its 100% due to APR as maybe their K04 tune just didn't sit well with my car even though I thought they were great and had their Stage 1 and 2+ tunes.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I moved away from APR after I had issues and their response was terrible IMHO. Would not recommend them at all.

As far as I know DM is a good tune, not sure if ROH ECHT implyed he needed to rebuild. IIRC he made more power with the DM tune.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Cool. So you think the DM tune was too aggressive and caused beat up your internals? What happened?

Just an FYI, I ran DM tune for last 4 years with zero problems.

sschultz

Good responses! I keep hearing mixed things about APR. I am in the Chicago area and have many shops that could work with the software, yet, they are more expensive than other kits.

I also keep hearing nothing but good things about Unitronic tunes. We'll see...price is a big deal for me so I will probably look for upcoming deals from shops around Chicago. I've heard that some APR turners have free install sales that come with buying their kits. That would be clutch...(pun intended?)

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
I've only heard bad things from the mechanics I've spoken to and after all the research trying to figure out my issues it seems it's mainly the APR FSI file for K04 as they updated the TSI one.

I'd see if you can get a ride in any cars that are tuned by the other companies, Uni, DM, GIAC and see from there.

Understand the price point too, though running into issues or having a tune you're unhappy with will only cost you more in the long run as in my case!