GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 GTI clutch pedal not returning to top position

SounderStudios

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

I have a 2008 GTI with 177K. Been having an intermittent issue over the last 18 months with the clutch pedal not coming all the way up when the car is "cold". After 10-20 minutes of driving it corrects itself. Shifting is fine. I've had the clutch master cylinder replaced twice and the slave/throwout bearing replaced when I did the clutch at about 130K. Yep about $2500 worth of repairs. Fast forward a year and its having the same problem.

Decided to try a mod and took the little restrictor out of the bleeder yesterday and had another system bleed. Clutch pedal lubricated and all that jazz too. Still having the same issue with the pedal not coming up all the way.

Is there a return spring that can be changed? Anything else to check?

Thanks!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Number 5

SounderStudios

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes helps with pedal return and there are more than one choice so talk to dealer. Looks like this, spring and a shaft.
Check yours out if you can to see if it is binding.

https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/448523_x800.jpg

Thank you! I can't even see the damn thing in there. Need a chiropractic adjustment after trying to get a better look today. By "more than one choice" do you mean model years or spring tensions?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Seems to be base of the cars PR numbers (options on car) that you can find in trunk, its a white sticker attached to trunk floor or also in glove box/owners manual. Just a heads up not all PR numbers are on that sticker but the dealer has the list. My sticker has about 49 PR numbers but the complete list is 184.

The Bentley or erWin has the steps to R and R but I really did not give it a good look. If you need instructions just Pm an email to send them to you.