GOLFMKV

Newbie question! "Need Help"

thebolt

Golf Life
Car(s)
Golf mkV Sportline
Hello everyone!
I have a stupid question really
So, since all of us here are from 4wheels world, theres not one here who would be bothered by a sound from a clean petrol rev! In fact we are all addicted to it i think!(at least i am)
Recently i bought an mkV 1.6 fsi 85 kw
and im wondering is it dangerous to rev it?
And by rev it i mean to like get it to bang the redline for a sec or 2!

MrSchwarzMan

Car(s)
Golf Sport
Hi
I have actually always worried about that too, especially since mine is a diesel but no, I've been told by my mechanic that revving to the redline once in a while is absolutely fine.

The redline is there for a reason, it is the highest point at which the engine may rev to before the possibility of damage. If the engine was going to blow up at the redline, then the manufacturer would not have chosen that point for the redline. I mean obviously continually thrashing it at the redline will reduce the engines lifespan and probably open you up to more mechanical wear on components.

Also, make sure the engine oil is FULLY WARMED UP up before revving that high as revving to the redline from cold is much more likely to cause damage
Hope that helped

thebolt

Golf Life
Car(s)
Golf mkV Sportline
Hi

I have actually always worried about that too, especially since mine is a diesel but no, I've been told by my mechanic that revving to the redline once in a while is absolutely fine.

The redline is there for a reason, it is the highest point at which the engine may rev to before the possibility of damage. If the engine was going to blow up at the redline, then the manufacturer would not have chosen that point for the redline. I mean obviously continually thrashing it at the redline will reduce the engines lifespan and probably open you up to more mechanical wear on components.

Also, make sure the engine oil is FULLY WARMED UP up before revving that high as revving to the redline from cold is much more likely to cause damage

Hope that helped

Yeah! Was told the same too!
Thank you tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk