GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stupid rear noise

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
The humming. My front struts are on their way out as well, it's on the list [emoji30]

Yeah, humming should be bearings. It's not an easy noise to capture on video, but I can hear a little bit of an odd harmonic noise. I guess that's what you were describing.

There is nothing else on the rear end that could make a similar constant noise except for seized brakes or unevenly worn tires. It's unlikely to be the brakes, because that's usually a grinding or squeaking noise. If you want to be completely sure, you can check the brakes by listening to see if the noise changes dramatically while braking.

To check if your tires are making the noise, you can simply swap your rear tires up front and see if the noise moved.

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black
oil changed last week and wheels were rotated... sound still from the rear drivers side.

i had to reorder the rear bearings, this time from ecs because dealing with mjm autohaus was super frustrating. will be delivered tomorrow and installed early next week.

will update if/when its resolved. i'm still about 90% it's definitely the bearing....but there's always that chance

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Yeah, humming should be bearings. It's not an easy noise to capture on video, but I can hear a little bit of an odd harmonic noise. I guess that's what you were describing.

There is nothing else on the rear end that could make a similar constant noise except for seized brakes or unevenly worn tires. It's unlikely to be the brakes, because that's usually a grinding or squeaking noise. If you want to be completely sure, you can check the brakes by listening to see if the noise changes dramatically while braking.

To check if your tires are making the noise, you can simply swap your rear tires up front and see if the noise moved.

I've got a similar noise issue coming from the front. Replaced both front bearings about 33k miles ago. There is no noticeable difference in the noise while turning hard left or right. Sound is most noticeable at 30-40mph and then above 60mph, also decelerating from 50-20 you can hear a humming/harmonic noise. Could I already be having bearing issues?

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black
I've got a similar noise issue coming from the front. Replaced both front bearings about 33k miles ago. There is no noticeable difference in the noise while turning hard left or right. Sound is most noticeable at 30-40mph and then above 60mph, also decelerating from 50-20 you can hear a humming/harmonic noise. Could I already be having bearing issues?

it's very possible. i read a thread on here about someone whose bearings kept going bad after not so many miles bc bad alignment messing them up.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186465

ericaWINS

DOOOOOOM
Car(s)
09 DSG gti, black
Alignment is good. I just wonder if I maybe had a bad unit. I didn't go with VW on this but went with VIACO.

i went with skf this time, they looked nicer than the oem ones that were on there. they looked like they were more closed off, less likely to get debris in them and shit. cost wise they were mid grade, not the cheapest but not oem expensive...

joelextra

I have now done my rear bearings twice. My suggestion is DO NOT go OEM on this part. the OEM replacement failed after less than 20k miles