GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking sound troubleshooting...

Tflgen2

Hey everyone, I've recently (1 week) started noticing a very loud clunk coming from the passenger side of the car that's audible from the interior and exterior of the car.

It sounds rather metallic like something's loose, but I can't seem to track it down. I've had it up on a jack and tried to shake things loose to no avail.

I've attached a video in hopes that someone else has had the same issue and can point me in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/JrTrCIm6yI8

Car Info:
2008.5 MKV 6Spd 86k miles. APR Stage 2 with catted godspeed DP. No suspension mods, likely original suspension (got car with 19500 miles). SB stage 2 daily clutch and a DG S6 short shifter.

Thanks

doc280

Ready to race!
Coming from the rear? If so, with the car on the ground, if you can, slide under the car enough to grab a hold of the rear sway bar link, tug on it back and forth, up and down. Hear a metallic chuck replace. You can not jack up one side of the car to check this because it will put load on the link.

michaelmk5

Car(s)
1989 BMW 325is
I had a similar noise coming from the front of my car, I was told that the CV joints on my one of my front axles had broken and so I replaced the axle myself and there is still a very faint noise when i go over bumps, but its nowhere near as loud as it was before I replaced the axle.

08gtindy

I also have some suspension related noise coming from the front. Clunking noise when going over small bump in my driveway when the wheel is turned to the right. Checked end links and have replaced strut mounts but still present. Also installed subframe spacers from ecs. Any other ideas?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Did you install new strut bearings when you swapped in the new mounts?
And did you orient the mounts correctly when you installed them (the arrows on the top of the mount facing in towards the engine).

Also double check the top strut nut is tight and then double check your control arm bushings & ball joints are all good too

The suspension setup is relatively simple and those are the moving parts

Last edited: