GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Cup Holder Install

Brokeswagen

Passed Driver's Ed
DIY: Euro Cup Holder Install

Just want to give a heads up that I took pictures only for my SD Card in my camera to shit the bed and all the photo files got corrupted. :mad: I'll try to make this as detailed as possible to try and make up for this.

I've seen a few, and really I mean two, DIYs on this, but none for my specific application. A lot of people give this project a bad rap but it's more annoying than hard. This should take a couple hours at most. Stay organized and be patient. Clips and harnesses are easy to break. Staying patient will alleviate some unnecessary heartache down the road if you try to rush it.

Tools You'll Need:
- T20 screwdriver
- T20 socket w/ ratchet (not required but helps in certain areas of removal/install)
- Trim Removal Tool or something of the like

We'll work from the back forward

1. Start by removing the rear air vents to the back seat, the ones attached to the center armrest. To do this open the backseat cup holder (if you even want to call it that) and remove the two exposed T20 screws. Once those are removed use your pry tool and remove the air vent face but lightly prying along the seams. You'll feel some resistance but it'll snap off.

2. Once the rear air vent is removed it'll free up a screw on both sides (you may have to push your front seats forward to access them). Remove those two screws.

3. The back seat stuff is now complete, if you have a two door this should please you with that lack of space back there. Now get to the front seat! Lift up your armrest and start by removing the 6-Disc CD Changer. This is pretty straight forward but all you have to do is pry it out of there. Carefully unplug the harness on the back of it and set the disc changer aside. With this ancient piece of machinery now out of the way remove the single screw on the front side of where it was mounted.

4. On your factory cup holder remove the rubber pads on the bottom and remove the screw.

5. Lift your ebrake all the way up and look underneath it. There will be a small rectangular flap. pry it outward while simultaneously pulling the ebrake handle towards the front of the car. It should easily come off. When the ebrake handle is removed you can remove the cover around the armrest. Again, will some wiggling and massaging it should work itself out pretty easily.

6. This is where it starts to get a little more annoying and the space get's a little more cramped. Place transmission in Neutral (Manual & DSG). Remove the shifter boot trim by lightly pulling it up from the forward side and sliding it out. DSG application will be the same. Again, this will expose two screws on the front side that, once removed, will allow the ashtray to slide out. When removing the ashtray be sure to remove any connectors (ie: 12v and ESP button). TO remove the ashtray you MAY have to adjust shifter. Mine was in Neutral and it slid out with some fidgeting.

7. On the top side of where the ashtray was there will be another square shaped trim piece that should remove pretty easily. Just pry it off with your trim removal tool.

8. Now we are moving to the footwells. On the drivers side next to the gas pedal there will be a screw hidden by a small cover. Once this screw is removed that entire trim piece will remove will some slight force. You'll use the same step on the Passenger side.

9. With those bottom trim pieces removed it will expose 4 screws, 2 on each side. Remove them.

10. Remove the plastic trim pieces on the Oh Shit Handles. Pry them off, to the best of your ability NOT at an angle. For whatever reason these are tricky. So pulling them straight out, they come off easier.

11. Now move back into where the the ashtray was. There will be 4 screws, 2 on each side, along where those Oh Shit Handles are. Remove them.

12. You've made it to the last step! And of course these are the most annoying ones yet! On the front side of the Oh Shit Handles there will be 4 screws, 2 on each side, that are facing up at an angle towards the front of the car. Space is limited here so these may cause a bit of stress removing. Be patient and they'll come out. This is where the socket/ratchet came in handy. I used a T20 bit with a 1/4 inch ratchet. They came out relatively easily.

13. By this point you should be able to lift the whole console piece out. This will likely take some wiggling and slight force but be careful and you should be able to work it out! It'll get tricky around the ebrake as there isn't a cutout for it. Just carefully bend the plastic inwards so it can slide past the handle.

14. FINALLY! You can flip that big console piece and remove the Factory cup holder by removing the two screws holding it in and thusly replace it with your new, stylish Euro Style Cup Holder!

Re-Install is the exact opposite of removal.

Last edited:

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Theres a diy somewhere here lurking. Id rather rebuild an engine than do this again. Good job tho

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Theres a diy somewhere here lurking. Id rather rebuild an engine than do this again. Good job tho

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

omg totally agree here lol. This was probably the worst experience I've had with doing a small cosmetic install. Took it all apart 4 different times trying to figure it out until I finally noticed 1 screw I missed under the sliding protector part for the e-brake.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwASDc1NFSY

http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2006/03/uchwyt-na-kubki-euro-cupholder.html?m=1

^ translate to english

Brokeswagen

Passed Driver's Ed
I honestly didn't think it was THAT bad. I had it done in about 1.5 hours. My armrest is a little different as I have the CD Changer model. But overall this was more annoying than complicated. I'd do this any day of the week over doing something that requires taking the intake manifold off. eff that!

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
I honestly didn't think it was THAT bad. I had it done in about 1.5 hours. My armrest is a little different as I have the CD Changer model. But overall this was more annoying than complicated. I'd do this any day of the week over doing something that requires taking the intake manifold off. eff that!

Good point. Yes, now that I know how to do it and I know where all the screws that need to be removed are. It would be a breeze. :thumbup: