GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 GTI Headlight/Foglight Issues

bagoly14

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone had any input for my problem with my headlights/foglights.

The situation right now is that my passenger side HID headlight and HID foglight are both stronger than my driver side HID headlight and HID foglight. The headlight difference is way more noticeable.

Now the other problem is that let's say I let the e-brake out after I turn on the car - the headlights both light up, I turn fogs on, all is good except for the power difference to the passenger side. If I pull the e-brake in again with the car still running, the lights turn off as expected but when I let the e-brake off again only my drivers side headlight works. Fogs won't work when I turn them back on and passenger side headlight is out. Same thing happens if e-brake is pulled in and I turn the lights on and off - seems like the passenger headlight only turns on once and then never again if turned on/off again.

The only way to get everything to work again is to turn the car off to kill the power and then give it power again. Sometimes takes multiple tries to get the passenger side headlight and fogs to come back (seems the passenger side headlight and both fogs either all work or all don't work).

Any opinions? I can't remember exactly when it all started going wrong but it was before my HID fogs install so I don't think they are part of the problem. I was thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere or bad connection in the harness at the ballast on the passenger side, or a bad ballast in general on the passenger side? Not sure...any advice?

Also, does anyone have a source for decent glass lenses for the headlights on the MK5 GTI? I've seen the plastic replacement ones from VXtuning but I'd prefer to stay away from plastic as they always crack on our cars from the moisture that gets in there...I've seen the MK4 have nice glass replacement lenses but never seen them for our MK5s. I'm thinking I'd be better off buying new headlights and getting the 4 year warranty?

Thanks.