GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eibach Springs

TriZzz

Ready to race!
I have Sportlines I like them they ride somewhat stiff but still good for a DD.

That looks really sick! Are those 18" wheels?!

eliwise

Passed Driver's Ed
I would have tried the Sportline springs, but I am running 8.5 wide at et35 Miro 111's. I would love to have the car sit a bit lower, but at this width I am afraid it would rub the fenders.

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
On my Rabbit (4dr, Auto, sunroof, heaviest Rabbit made) The Eibach Sportlines combined with the Koni Str.t gave me less than a finger gap in the rear and 1 finger in the front. (Stock 225/45/17). Not sure why the rear dropped more than the front...

I had VW Driver Gear springs installed with stock shocks awhile back and those gave me a two finger gap all around. (1")

That's REALLY weird. I just did literally the exact same shocks/springs on my 07 GTI and I have about a finger and a half in the front, and 2 in the back, and I have some serious sausage fingers at that.

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey fam,

I want coilovers but I'm poor...

A friend of mine has an MK6 and he got the Eibach Pro-Kit and it looks REALLY good! He paid $230 shipped from TireRack and that's something I could swing.

However, for the MKV - the "pro-kit" says they lower .5" front and rear. His was definitely lower than that.

They have a "Sportline" kit which is a bit cheaper says they lower 1.2" in the front and 1" in the rear.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the MKV? Beyond lowering amount is there much of a difference between the two.

Please forgive me, I'm really REALLY not a mechanical person...would I need anything else beyond either of these kits?

I'm not looking to "slam" my car or anything. I'm on the stock suspension and the wheel gap is making me angry when I look at it - so I'm trying to eliminate a good portion of that while not reducing the ride quality too much. My buddy says his rides stiffer but it's not unbearable.

Thank you for your advice,
TriZzz

So I just did all the research on this. They actually drop you about .9" front and .8" rear (though this varies from car to car). What happened is that the 06/07 MKV's had about .4" taller springs due to some weird side impact crash regulation in the US. So when Tirerack shows their drop, they're basing it on the 08 MKVs and not the 06/07. If you go to eibach's website and check their application guide for your car it will show you the true drop.

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, like some people said, you're going to be paying a crapton for labor to have someone get in their and do the install, unless you're planning on doing it yourself. My suggestions would be to pick up a kit like I did (the koni str.t) kit and go that route.

Running those springs though the manufacturer says they are "ok" for the shocks, isn't really telling the whole picture. Yes, the spring rate is ok, but the fact that the spring is about an inch lower means it will wear out your shocks pretty fast. To give you a point of reference when I bought my GTI new in 07, I had a set of H&R OE Sport springs, which basically are ever so slightly lower than stock ride height for euro spec, or about .4" taller than the Eibach pro kits.

I just installed 2-3 weeks ago the eibach pro kits, and my car is sitting HIGHER than it was with the H&R OE Sports despite being a .4" lower spring because my shocks were pretty much toast (wasn't bouncy but didn't do shit to absorb big bumps).

That was in about 70k miles and they've been crap for at least 3 years. So really it was more like 45k miles that those springs wore out the stock shocks.

Now, think about the fact this is already a used car with miles on it and the shocks are already old and close to worn out because of that. What do you think is gonna happen when you put lowering springs on already old shocks? They aren't gonna last long.

Anyways, just some things to think about. If you're already paying someone to get under there (or doing it yourself), getting a new set of shocks that are correctly sized to the springs in question is going to be an all around good idea, both for safety and down the road cost reasons.