GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grab Handles (over doors) design alert

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Several months ago, I had my headliner replaced by a reputable upholstery shop. Well, for the first time the other day I rode as a passenger in the car and had the occasion to (try) use the grab handle. I noticed that the right side was not really attached and pulling out.
To make a long story longer, I went back to the shop and the fellow who did my car apologized but followed with "those damn VW handles are why we eat a lot of extra time on those cars and I'm going to show you why".
It's a floating nut that receives the Torx machine screw that is caged in a stainless steel holder clip that fits behind/in a white plastic bracket that hangs on body metal behind the headliner above the door. He showed me how the nut can dislodge with the attempted insertion of the screw and turn sideways making you think your threading into it when your really only beside it. Or, the "clip/cage" moves behind the plastic bracket just enough not to allow the bolt to align with the nut. All this while working blind, by feel, behind the headliner fabric. These guys do a lot of different cars, boats, planes etc and our cars take the cake as most difficult because of the design of these handles. FYI. He further explained how he has gotten good at them at the frustration of other upholsterers. He fixed it after 25 min's.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Those clips were the Bain of my existence till I figured out how to do them properly. Kinda had to tho, especially with all the leaking panoramic sunroofs ��