GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3M protective film removal

Machfive

Passed Driver's Ed
When i bought the car, it have a 3M protective film on the hood, but it became more yellow than white.

So i wanted to know my option for removing it. Since if i remove the 3M, there will be 2 different white on my hood.

Is there anything i can do except replacing the hood by another one?

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
You could just have the hood painted instead of replaced.

This is kind of hilarious. People put that crap on the hood to protect it from rock chips so they don't have to repaint the hood. Then when it gets old and yellow, and you peel it off, you have to repaint the hood anyway. Seems counter-intuitive. Sucks that you got stuck in the situation. I find it humorous. Free bump for options, and some good luck thrown in there as well.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Just a heads up, I had the 3M protective film on for two+ years. It got a small rip in the corner so I decided to take it off. When I took it off and washed it once, there was literally zero evidence that it had ever been on there. I would take it off and actually see what it looks like, because it could be much less noticeable then you are thinking.

Machfive

Passed Driver's Ed
is there any special way to remove it? Or only by pulling it slowly by hand is correct?

If there's a noticeable difference, what are my option? excepting repaint or replace the hood?

I dont know how long the film have been there...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just a heads up, I had the 3M protective film on for two+ years. It got a small rip in the corner so I decided to take it off. When I took it off and washed it once, there was literally zero evidence that it had ever been on there. I would take it off and actually see what it looks like, because it could be much less noticeable then you are thinking.

Same. My clear film was on the car for almost 4 years. When it started to cloud, I went to take it off and it was a nightmare (came off in little tiny pieces), but once it was off and I hit it with the DA polisher and some compound and polish, you'd never know I had one on in the first place.

Machfive

Passed Driver's Ed
Same. My clear film was on the car for almost 4 years. When it started to cloud, I went to take it off and it was a nightmare (came off in little tiny pieces), but once it was off and I hit it with the DA polisher and some compound and polish, you'd never know I had one on in the first place.

Oh nice, so i'll have to take a chance by removing it..

Thanks for fast reply guys ;)

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
Once you take it off and do some work to it (polish and wax) I'll bet it will be just like you want/need it to. You are not worse off if you take it off and it looks like crap, it does not anyways.

You could either spray or put down a matte 3M Vinyl or some other color.