GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
Just in case you guys need some help with it.
Use only for reference
Edited on 7/28/09 for a cleaner filter housing removal

Tools
Jack & Stands (I wouldn't recommend the stock jack if your physically going under the car)
Ratchet; 19mm & 1 1/2 or 36mm

Standard 1/8":

Oil Pan
5 qts of Oil (Consult your manual for Oil requirements, I use Mobil 1 0-40)
OEM Oil Filter (Bought from dealer)

Please make sure your car has cooled off, or at least you've gave it some time to cool. Coz it really does get hot in there. Use of gloves highly recommended!

1.) Jack up car. I used the stock jack location and placed stands as so.. coz you never know

2.) Remove Undercover using standard 1/8" (4 on each side)

3.) Once removed you can see the pan and filter-housing as so:

4.) Place your oil pan near the drain plug. Use the Ratchet w/ 19mm to remove plug:

5.) Let drain until oil completely stops dripping

6.) Once all the oil has exited the pan, plug it back up:
*not required but I like to use some sort of anti-seize gunk, less strain removing the plug next oil change

7.) Unscrew the Housing "cap"

8.) Reposition your oil pan under the filter housing.

edit
9a.) Insert one of our allen keys into the "nipple" and push the nipple up and to the side to drain the filter housing.
Don't forget to reset the nipple once you're done draining the filter housing!

/edit

9b.) Remove Housing using Ratchet with 1 1/2" (36mm? is the "correct" fit, but I've use 1 1/2" because that's what I have and it works)

10.) Remove old filter and filter rubber washer, Insert new filter and rubber washer

11.) Replace the underbody cover.
12.) Remove stands and take car off the Jack.

13.) Re-Oil tha motherfucker I usually use 4 & 1/2 Qts to get in the middle of Min/Max (It takes 1 quart of oil to move the Oil level on dipstick from Min to Max)

Here's my procedure to check oil levels:
Put 4 quarts
Start car, let idle, turn off car
Check Oil Level
Add as necesarry to get correct level

Please dont over oil the engine, we all know that wont be too good for your cat.

Last edited:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Good job. Did mine last week. It definitely makes a mess. Brakekleen spray comes in handy to clean it up.

I've just done my second oil change. I must say, yes, the oil from the filter housing gets very messy. mak sure you have towels on the ground or something to mop up afterwards.

Delboy

Oval Newbie
Great write up, thank for sharing.

Is it possible to pre prime the new filter before starting the engine? I don't like the idea of starting the motor with no oil in the filter housing and waiting for it to self fill.

Cjeckert

Drag Racing Champion
just an fyi on over filling the oil, if there is to much it will froth from the con rods and you will have bubbles in the oil when it gets pumped trough the engine it greatly reduces the live of the bearing particularly the rod bearings.

Neon Guy

Tin Can Racer
Car(s)
1998 SPEC Neon
Have any of you guys ever heard of aluminum foil?

You could build an aluminum foil shield around the filter to help drain the fluid towards the oil pan rather than flinging it all over the motor.

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
Thats why I titled it (without oil drain tool)...
That tool just removed the oil from the housing before you remove it.
If you just remove the housing without draining it first, It will still get the job done, but will cause more mess as seen in this pic:

You dont need the oil drain tool to do an oil change.
FYI most VW techs hardly use this tool anyways. Its much faster to just remove the housing. You dont need to drain the "filter" because you will be replacing it anyways... all the oil in the housing will spill once you remove it.
The filter is not a re-useable filter, so I don't understand why you guys still wonder if I "drained" it or not... if you are still wondering why, maybe you shouldnt do your own oil change

SoCalComatose

Booyahkasha Respekt!
Car(s)
2004 R32
LOL - I'm very capable of doing my own changes, always have. I didn't do my first on this car because it was free from the dealer. From what I've read you can use your torx driver to push the nipple in and drain the oil from the filter. The reason for doing so would be less mess.

So, you can just take it off without draining and spend more time cleaning up or drain the filter and clean up faster.

Great DIY tho, thanks for the info.