GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why did the GTI come to US long after Europe

//caliber\\

Drag Race Newbie
From what I know the MKV GTI has been out in Europe for almost two years already? How come it took so long for VW to bring it to the US :iono: Will Europeans get a model refresh before the US?

drunkenmaster

Passed Driver's Ed
//caliber\\ said:
From what I know the MKV GTI has been out in Europe for almost two years already? How come it took so long for VW to bring it to the US :iono: Will Europeans get a model refresh before the US?

I don't know but I'm kind of glad that it's been in the rest of the world for a few years now cause this means we won't be getting a first year model really. All the major problems will have been solved (hopefully :wink: )

loft

Ready to race!
Yea it always seemed strange to me that the car has such a lead time in the US. But maybee its because its been done like that for a while, and now that VW is in the habit its hard to break it because the mk4 is still not that old for us. Who knows, i'd like to know the answer too.

Charis

Ready to race!
loft said:
Yea it always seemed strange to me that the car has such a lead time in the US. But maybee its because its been done like that for a while, and now that VW is in the habit its hard to break it because the mk4 is still not that old for us. Who knows, i'd like to know the answer too.

Does this mean that the Golf IV's life was shorter in the US than in Europe? Or does each generation of Golf's life last the same period despite having different introduction dates in the US and Europe?

//caliber\\

Drag Race Newbie
drunkenmaster said:
I don't know but I'm kind of glad that it's been in the rest of the world for a few years now cause this means we won't be getting a first year model really. All the major problems will have been solved (hopefully :wink: )

That would makes sense cuz the only difference between the US and european version is supposed to be the suspension height of the car so the cars we get should be pretty solid.

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
//caliber\\ said:
That would makes sense cuz the only difference between the US and european version is supposed to be the suspension height of the car so the cars we get should be pretty solid.

I hope your theory is dead on. This is sort of like the same situation with my Ford Focus. When I got it I was thinking, hey in Europe they haven't had any problems whatsoever and everyone loves them. For sure this will be ok to drive here. 7 recalls and 42 visits to the dealer later I learned my lesson. The only difference between the golf and focus is that the North American Foci are built in Mexico, hence the reliability problems.

hipstomper

Go Kart Newbie
MAlby7 said:
I hope your theory is dead on. This is sort of like the same situation with my Ford Focus. When I got it I was thinking, hey in Europe they haven't had any problems whatsoever and everyone loves them. For sure this will be ok to drive here. 7 recalls and 42 visits to the dealer later I learned my lesson. The only difference between the golf and focus is that the North American Foci are built in Mexico, hence the reliability problems.

are you serious about the 7 recalls and 42 visits !?:eyebulge: :eyebulge: man I hope the Golf is more reliable than that :wink:

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
hipstomper said:
are you serious about the 7 recalls and 42 visits !?:eyebulge: :eyebulge: man I hope the Golf is more reliable than that :wink:

Unfortunately I am. There were 34 visits in the first 30 months. I got to know my Ford Dealer very well.:thumbdown:

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
MAlby7 said:
Unfortunately I am. There were 34 visits in the first 30 months. I got to know my Ford Dealer very well.:thumbdown:

34 visits? WTF?? Why didn't you just sell that thing? I hope your Golf turns out much better because you deserve it for putting up with your ford.

monkeyboi

Passed Driver's Ed
i just wanted to ask the europeans on this site about how many miles they have on their car and if they have had any problems since theyve had their car

ukdub

Test Pilot
18k miles and still runs like a dream. It hasn't been back to the dealer for any thing but its first service.

ricemutt

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Hi, new to the group, hope these questions are appropriate (if not, moderator, please feel free to move them):

1) Does anyone know what accounts for the ~300 lb weight difference between the US and European versions of the GTI? From US specs, curb weight is listed as 1500-1520 kg and on VW Spain site (sorry, I can't read German, but confirmed on autoblog.com), spec lists 1336-1355 kg w/o driver.

2) When the 5-door version comes to the US in July, does anyone know if it will still be built in Germany or moved to Mexican production?

Thanks much in advance!

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
34 visits.....why didnt u fight for lemon law??

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
monkeyboi said:
i just wanted to ask the europeans on this site about how many miles they have on their car and if they have had any problems since theyve had their car

Had my car just over a year, done almost 26k miles in it, still going beautifully. Had my first service, second service due in a few hundred miles, only been in for warrenty work twice (fix a rattle in the passenger door trim that developed after 24k miles, and some other minor issue). It's been at VW a few more times than that, but for reasons of my own accord entirely.
As the miles add on, I only grow increasingly impressed with the car, and enjoy the ride more and more.