GOLFMKV

How to charge & play your iPhone 4 using iPod Adapter

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
UPDATED:

Dice Adapter to connect to iPhone interface in center console:

http://www.amazon.com/Dice-i-VW-R-I...0&sr=8-1&keywords=Dice+i-VW-R+VW+IPod+Adapter

This is the mount and holder that I went with. The combined cost was $35. They are made in Germany and very high quality. Highly recommended!

Pro.Fit International MI-200BG miniGRIP Universal Smart Phone Holder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LSI0IS

Pro.Fit International MV-50-03-L Vehicle Specific Mount VSM Legend
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H4FKI

or for an iPhone:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Fit-Inter...qid=1345179629&sr=1-6&keywords=pro-fit+iphone

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 9,394
  • boxview.JPG
    boxview.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 9,066
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 9,182
  • DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 9,192
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 9,193
Last edited:

Davesolo

Charge & Play or only Charge?

Hey Junker - I got the same problem and looking for solutions. The ipod adapter on my '07 GTI does nothing for my iPhone 4. Have you tried the cable out & does it enable iPhone to play through the VW radio or does it only charge the iPhone (for that I got a cheapo cable off e-bay to the power adapter). Would be great if this cable charges and plays (both off the iPod on the iPhone and anything streaming like you mentioned).

Let me know, other adapters and blue tooth options look pricey!

Davesolo

I actually spent WAY too much time in the office researching this yesterday. I've got the Premium 7 radio with the old (12v) iPod adapter in the center console. Spoke with my VW parts guy who said he'd let me test the cable functionality prior to purchase.

Kind of need to decide whether to go this route or Scosche passport, which I think will do the same as this cable, but probably no streaming. Or go after market like you with a dice, denison or grom or get the VW upgrade 1K0051510A.

Text on HU and MFD is a nice to have, but if going to do this really would like streaming functionality (like Pandora). May I ask which Dice you went with, why and what install was like? The VW upgrade looks like you sacrifice some iphone functionality but has an easy install.

More to think about...

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Plug and Play Center Console DICE iPhone

If you have the center console then there is a perfect solution. It's what I did yesterday and I need top put together a DIY when I have some time.

Here is how to do it... cheap, easy, and has good functionality.

I purchased the Dice i-VW-R VW IPod Adapter from Amazon.com. Our iPod interface in the center console essentially taps into an external CD changer harness that routes to the center console... Just go to your console and pull up firmly on the center tray and it will come right out and take a look in there. The big harness connects to a small harness that is the same connector on the Dice (NO WIRING NEEDED!). Takes about 30 minutes. Find a nice place for the box. I cut off one of the plastic screw tabs from the Dice box and velcro'd it to a recess on the outside of the tray and used a small phillips screw driver to take the screws out the bottom and removed the old iPhone connector. Then just run the iPod interface up through the cubby and maybe hit it with one zip tie. Put the bottom covers back on. Press CD 2x and you are ready to go. Charges and plays with steering wheel controls. Only drawback is no text. This device has two modes - one that tries to send data, locks the ipod screen, is slower, and doesn't but the ipod track number i displayed and another mode that lets you do all the controlling from your iphone. I have it set this way.

They also make a device that plugs into the SAT harness and is able to send track name data but I don't want to do any wiring or unplug the SAT interface.

I can get pics up later this week. Let me know if you have any questions.

May I ask which Dice you went with, why and what install was like? The VW upgrade looks like you sacrifice some iphone functionality but has an easy install.

Last edited:

Davesolo

Junker - most of the other options I've read here need the wiring into SAT. This looks pretty ideal. Would appreciate some pix/dyi if you've got the time. I'm assuming this is the correct one as its not SAT and reviews pretty much mirror the install you wrote about. http://www.amazon.com/Dice-i-VW-R-I...SDLO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310504870&sr=8-2 If not please send me the link.

I like that you can control via the iphone itself. Not much into playlists.

Thanks alot!

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
That's the device! I'll try to get some photos but it might not be until F or the weekend. If you are a student sign up for free Amazon Prime and have it with free shipping in 2 days.

In the meantime buy some velcro, a small screw driver, and a few zip ties. I mounted mine to the left rear outside of the removable cubby. I also trimmed off the top screw hole tab to lower it's overhang and to give the velcro more surface area. Because everything is wider it's not as easy to plug and unplug the cubby but I'll check it out. It was an install and forget. Another nice touch is to route the wire in nearly the same way as the one you remove but because the new cable is thicker than the old one I used a dremel to make a new recess that puts less of a bend on the wire. I'll show you with pics. In any case you'll see that it is pretty easy and if you end up finding an even cleaner install you'll have to show me.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
You probably know this better than I do but the Pandora iPhone app has a higher quality setting that I use because I have the unlimited data plan.

And because I'm assuming the wiring harness transmits at the CD red book standard (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) it sounds very, very good...as in near CD quality. It absolutely sounds better than the compressed sounding Sirius radio. I wonder if the SAT interface would even sound this good?!

Davesolo

Junker - thanks for writing back and confirming the Dice model. Not a student so will need will probably get early next week. Given I do work, I won't really have time to look at my center console and do the steps you mention until this weekend so I'd really appreciate if you could post some pix Fri or over the weekend.

I think I posted those you tube links too quickly - that shows an install into dash which is much more complicated then this. That's also why I think this is a better option than the SAT route. That requires rewiring and I agree with you that the CD interface is probably going to have better quality sound than the SAT route. I've got unlimited data too so usage is no issue for me. The only drawback (not major IMO) is the Dice, VW or Denison SAT hookup can have text on the MFD, that's cool but not necessary (particularly as it locks the iphone).

Always have velcro and zip ties and many screw drivers in my inventory so looks like I'm good on that front and I can borrow a buddies dremel.

Look forward to your snaps, if I uncover anything different while exploring this weekend will let you know and of course will post back once I receive the unit and install.

Thanks a bunch!

Davesolo

Davesolo

Hey Junker - any luck getting together some photos? Interested in seeing what/how you've done this mod.

Thanks

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Getting it out right now is going to be a bit of a problem through W since I'm slammed with biz school. After that I can. Still feel free to PM for anything in he meanwhile. The description is pretty good.

When you pull out the cubby. There are six screws on the bottom. Remove them. remove 2 small screws that hold the current connector in place. Velcro unit. Route wire same way as before. Zip tie ipod cable to where old connector used to be and you are good to go.

Davesolo

Those look mighty good. I think my Dice arrived today, hopefully will have time to follow your instructions one night this week if I don't get home too late from work. Good luck studying!

roruss08gti

Have you been RickRolled?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Hey guys, not trying to sound naive or dumb here but I am trying to figure out what I need in order to use my iPhone through my radio. Here is what I currently have:

I have the iPod connector in my center arm rest. When I plug my iPod in, it charges, but when I plug my iPhone 4 in it works but it does not charge. I can control it through the steering wheel controls and want to continue using them. Can someone help me out here?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
If you want to charge and play iPod music only buy that first cable off of me.

If you want to play Pandora etc you need the Dice unit that is in the link above. Instructions are given here is several places.

Last edited: