GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 MKV GTI drinking way too oil?

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I've an 06' Mk5 gti with a k04. I did an oil change about 600kms/350miless ago. I put in Castrol Edge 5w40 and even over filled it a bit. Its now been about 600kms and almost 2 months and my engine oil light came on this morning... I topped it up with about 500ml of oil I had left and the light went away.

This is definitely not normal and I was wondering what you guys might think thats causing this oil to be burnt so much? I know I am running a shitty tune right now and its running rich. I get about 400 - 450kms to a full tank of 98 which is so bad. I know oil isn't leaking because under the car there is no signs of oil puddles or drips. There is no smoke while I drive or during WOT.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Rings may be worn, a compression or leak down test would help to clue you in. If you have a catch can its contents may let you know how much oil is being forced through the pcv. Turbo seal would be pretty appearant.

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
Rings may be worn, a compression or leak down test would help to clue you in. If you have a catch can its contents may let you know how much oil is being forced through the pcv. Turbo seal would be pretty appearant.

Thanks, appreciate your answer! Any clue on how I can check my rings or turbo seal? I don't think I have a catch can.

balucanb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
lots of stuff
Do you have FMIC? I would pull the lines and see how much oil drops out of there, if it's bad then your Seal might be bad as stated or your K04 might be about to go.

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have FMIC? I would pull the lines and see how much oil drops out of there, if it's bad then your Seal might be bad as stated or your K04 might be about to go.

Im on stock intercooler, planning on upgrading to FMIC in the near future though. I hope my k04 isn't about to go... Its only seen about 10,000 kms... Thats still very new right? It pulls like crazy on stock fmic @ only 17psi so I hope its okay.

henkzilla

Ready to race!
Lots of good info stated already.
My FSI was drinking a ton of oil. Turned out to be my valve cover. There are a bunch of plastic channels in the valve cover, and the plastic can crack causing oil vapor to bypass etc etc etc
There's a way to test the valve cover just by trying to blow air through some of the channels. I'd definitely suggest doing some searching on the topic. When I replaced my valve cover I couldn't believe how much less oil I went through, it was unreal.

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of good info stated already.
My FSI was drinking a ton of oil. Turned out to be my valve cover. There are a bunch of plastic channels in the valve cover, and the plastic can crack causing oil vapor to bypass etc etc etc
There's a way to test the valve cover just by trying to blow air through some of the channels. I'd definitely suggest doing some searching on the topic. When I replaced my valve cover I couldn't believe how much less oil I went through, it was unreal.

What channels do I blow the air through? I'll have a closer look inside my coils and spark plugs and engine bay for oil leaks but IIRC there isn't any oil seeping anywhere...