GOLFMKV

Mk7 is out!

Maximum6

FASTER
sorry guys i'm jumping ship...

I'm going for the Focus RS.

Maximum6

FASTER
Awesome just like the golf R except the 37k would be worth it for brembos, lsd, recaro, boost/oil gauges, adjustable suspension, Michelin pilot ss tires, appropriate aerodynamics, and real exhaust sound track

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Tried daily driving my E36 for a bit, my car has 152k, and while it's still in reasonably good shape, it's too old for daily use. These cars all came equipped with a lot of accessories, all of which are now old and all too willing to break. The basic mechanicals are fine but stuff like the power door locks and windows are getting tired.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
A quick note about todays Bilstein B6 road tests

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7748

For 2015 VW Golf TDI Owners -
The 50mm version of the Bilstein B6 front shocks for the 2015 VW Golf TDI are being delivered by UPS today from Tirerack! So these shocks are now available, at least at this source.....

A quick note about todays Bilstein B6 road tests -
March 12, 2015

The new Bilstein B6 shocks are finally on my 2015 VW Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed and it handles great. Just as I anticipated it would and just as our two VW Golf Mk4's have after they were also fitted with Bilstein B6 shocks, years ago.

While the Mk7 VW Golf chassis is a big improvement over the Mk4, the new Mk7 can still benefit from the Bilstein B6's. I say this having driven the Mk7 over 3,000 miles before installing the new Bilstein B6's, earlier this week.

The Bilstein's are certainly worth the cost and their contribution to the VW stock springs control, are always the best that I've experienced, compared to other shock absorber brands I've used with stock springs. I've installed Bilstein B6 shocks on no less than a dozen of our own cars over the years, plus quite a few on friends automobiles and they've always proven to be the best in terms of working with the stock springs, especially on German cars, such as our own BMW and VW cars, for the past 30 years.

The only thing I wish was better on these current Bilstein's on our new 2015 VW Golf, is that the rebound control is not as fast or as firm as I would prefer, to better control fast undulating road services, such as whoop-de-doo or roller coaster roads, as some people call them.

I had this same experience with the Bilstein B6's on my 1983 5-series BMW. I sent the BMW's shocks to Bilstein to have them revalved for improved rebound control, which brought them fully up to my liking. However, since this type of driving is now only 5% of my vehicle use, if even that, it will certainly be fine with this 2015 VW Golf TDI.

I am no longer involved in competitive racing or track events, but do want improved handling in our daily drivers. So I've long since given up involving after market springs and other brands of shocks, on our cars now primarily used for travel and some spirited driving, not competition. Bilstein products deliver what I am looking for and with their exceptional longevity in my experience, for over 40 years of using their products.

I'd only add that when we sell one of our cars, the new owner ALWAYS comments on how well the car rides and handles! That pretty much says it all, as far as I am concerned.

-Rod

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Thanks for posting, my Mk7 TDI certainly could use a bit tighter suspension, on the other hand stop posting! I only have 1200 mi, can't start the aftermarket slippery slope quite yet!

Basically what I did to my old B5.5 Passat though, Bilsteins and DG springs, made for a great daily driver.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Hope you like to read this: Stock dampers are good for the first 50k mls. :biggrin:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Mk7 Billies got softer again:

GTI Mk6
1350 / 1130

GTI Mk7
880 rebound / 775 compression

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Wish they had stiffened up rebound instead.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Bump. My dad ordered a manual 5 door golf 1.8t with sunroof and lighting package. He ordered it several months ago and it's finally en route to the dealership, hopefully in his driveway within the next few days. I tried hard to get him into a TDI but he couldn't get over his prejudices about diesel cold-start issues and possible lack of refueling otions when he goes skiing way up north. I told him again and again that it was a non issue but he wasn't having it. Anyhow, it's his money and his choice.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting anothe VW in the family and having a chance to drive it to work from time to time. It isn't what I'd want for my own daily, but I'm sure it'll be a perfect commuter car even if it doesn't set the enthusiast world on fire. I'm sure it'll be much more quiet and refined and powerful as compared with my gf's 2010 Accord (4 cyl, automatic) which is a loud, harsh, underpowered and fairly charmless car...but a reliable one, which helps since I'm borrowing it while my Caddy is down with electrical issues. Again.

Anyhow, I'll pop back in once I've had a little seat time in the new golf.