GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 GTI AC problem

unie01

interesting thread, I too was having the same problem

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Early build MKV's came with a AC compressor made by Zexel that was prone to failure of the antifriction coating on the swash plate, often causing compressor seizure. If you look at threads from 10 years ago you'll find a bunch of stories about cars stalling and needing a tow due to this issue. VW switched suppliers to Sanden in 07 or 08. The Sanden compressors are solid. You can tell which one you have by looking at the label on the compressor, and if you have a Zexel, I'd bite the bullet and replace it.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
So I bought a second hand compressor and got it installed, but AC is still not kicking in. What the F is going on???

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Early build MKV's came with a AC compressor made by Zexel that was prone to failure of the antifriction coating on the swash plate, often causing compressor seizure. If you look at threads from 10 years ago you'll find a bunch of stories about cars stalling and needing a tow due to this issue. VW switched suppliers to Sanden in 07 or 08. The Sanden compressors are solid. You can tell which one you have by looking at the label on the compressor, and if you have a Zexel, I'd bite the bullet and replace it.

Just an FYI - My 08 had a Zexel - never had any problems with it though.