GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dirty Dave needs some help pt.1

dirtydaveandtheboys

Hey gang, dave back.

hopefully some help.

So I filled up my coolant and I think I may(?) have mixed in too much distilled water with the g12 and long story short the tank emptied while I was in the middle of no where, **** just evaporated (really cold outside?)

So checked my trunk and luckily had some prestone (the green colored/walmart stuff) 50/50 and threw that in there... It's been a day so far of driving and the car is parked now but I'll have work in the morning, I'm guessing I need to do a flush to fix babes up but would it be ok to drive tomorrow or should I skip out?

And also if anyone owns a mk5 GTI would you direct me to where I would find the coolant/radiator pipe underneath the car, pics would also be very appreciated.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hey gang, dave back.

hopefully some help.

So I filled up my coolant and I think I may(?) have mixed in too much distilled water with the g12 and long story short the tank emptied while I was in the middle of no where, **** just evaporated (really cold outside?)

So checked my trunk and luckily had some prestone (the green colored/walmart stuff) 50/50 and threw that in there... It's been a day so far of driving and the car is parked now but I'll have work in the morning, I'm guessing I need to do a flush to fix babes up but would it be ok to drive tomorrow or should I skip out?

And also if anyone owns a mk5 GTI would you direct me to where I would find the coolant/radiator pipe underneath the car, pics would also be very appreciated.
You can drive but flush it asap. You can disconnect the pipe at the level of the electric waterpump underneath, easy to spot. Be sure to flush with water and empty it three times so that there is no green stuff left. It is NOT compatible with G12, next time it would be wiser to simply use water.

But even pure distilled water should not evaporate. I am fairly sure you have a leak somewhere or simply did have air in the system which would explain the level of coolant dropping as air is purged.

dirtydaveandtheboys

You can drive but flush it asap. You can disconnect the pipe at the level of the electric waterpump underneath, easy to spot. Be sure to flush with water and empty it three times so that there is no green stuff left. It is NOT compatible with G12, next time it would be wiser to simply use water.

But even pure distilled water should not evaporate. I am fairly sure you have a leak somewhere or simply did have air in the system which would explain the level of coolant dropping as air is purged.

I thought I had a leak too at first but the drive home was fine and I left the car overnight and all the coolant was there still..

Basically I found a old g12 with some coolant in it and I thought it wasnt mixed yet.. And I added distilled to it at a 50/50 so essentially it was a 75/25 lol and yeah it was really really cold (-30 degree) outside