GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Update

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
OK Update
My car is fixed just so everyone knows that this could have happened to any one. Apparently VW made a stupid design for the crank sprocket for the Chains.
The Sprocket its self is not actually attached to anything. It is seated into grooves just like how the out side crank pulley mounts up to the chain sprocket and it can move on its own.
My problem was that when everything was removed there was no more tension on the sprocket so it started to drop and made its self miss align. So be warned.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
Once you take the crank pulley off it helps to reinstall the crank bolt to keep things in place.

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
Yea but it was the impact wrench that made the mess. After everything was linged up once the impact was used to loosen the bolt then the preasure holding everything together was released and the crank its self was turned by the impact wile everything that I was looking at was still in the same place. Thus making the crank sit in the wrong spot from where the cams are.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
kinda scary, but i'm planing on getting this done this weekend. Have everything lined up and ready. No impact wrench.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
ouch, but I talked to few vw techs when i was getting my free oil change for wife's CC and was told I should be ok with using the crank pulley bolt with few washer to hold the sprocket in place. Guess VW has some kind of a special tool to keep everything from moving on you. Postponed the install for now.

dave80

Go Kart Champion
– When the vibration damper is not reinstalled again immediately, insert securing bolt with sleeve -T10368-.

Renew bolt for vibration damper.
Renew O-ring -1-.
– Lubricate sealing lip of oil seal with engine oil.
– Fit vibration damper (pay attention to shape of tooth -arrow-).

as you can see in the pic bellow which is of a tsi engine once you remove the bolt and the pulley everything just hangs in place by itself.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm curious about your result too. Does anyone have that bolt spacer? Rough idea of the thickness? I'm going to be doing this very soon. I have the crank pulley tool, it's huge.

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
Neonphase, was your chain sprocket or spur gear drive damaged from the misalignment (since they are keyed)?

Yes it is not much but there is damage in the Keyed area that connects to the crank.
I have it sitting on my desk as a reminder of my failure.

From what I can tell is that after all tension was taken off the crank bolt while the impact was still taking the bolt out the impact and the bolt moved the crank at least one key off were it was supposed to be lined up. Thus when everything was put back together nothing lined up right.
But clearly its not like I could see what was going on when this actually happened so this is just a speculation.
All I know is I started with everything lined up and when I put it back to gather the pulley wheel was not lined up where it was supposed to be (Off by about 15 degrees)
I did everything that was talked about in this thread so I have no idea where I went wrong or how it could have moved on its own.

neonphase

Durp
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI TSI
ouch, but I talked to few vw techs when i was getting my free oil change for wife's CC and was told I should be ok with using the crank pulley bolt with few washer to hold the sprocket in place. Guess VW has some kind of a special tool to keep everything from moving on you. Postponed the install for now.

Well if they do then its not in there repair manual because the VW dealership that I went to and the tech that I personally know said there was no mention of the sprocket being an independent entity when doing a timing chain re-alignment He only found out when he took the Chains off to replace them and the sprocket just fell out.
Until that moment he did not know about the sprocket. From what he told me the manual does not refer to the sprocket until changing the chains. In fact the 3 different VW technicians that he called from VW america did not even say anything about this.