GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

20" Light Bar behind front grille.

DODO101

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV 2006 GTI MT
I was thinking of installing a light bar behind the front, but couldn't find any DIY for the MKV.

We had to drill the bumper, use two 90° bracket (about $5 each) - cut it to size, ran the wire to the relay which is attached to the ground. Route the control wire under the battery and through the firewall all the way to the center console. The switch is next to the ESP button, tapped 12 volts from the cigarette lighter, I have a simple toggle switch for now, but planning to install a push on/off with led indicator.

It's hard to take pictures of the actual light, but it is bright! The flood is definitely helps on dark bar roads.

Here's a few pictures to help whoever wants to do it.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 10,062
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,410
  • IMG_2353.JPG
    IMG_2353.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 4,344
  • IMG_2355.JPG
    IMG_2355.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,400
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,445

doc280

Ready to race!
Might have been easier to purchase Carista and change the car settings to euro, so the flash to pass lights come on with the high beams. More than bright enough to light up those dark roads.

DODO101

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV 2006 GTI MT
Might have been easier to purchase Carista and change the car settings to euro, so the flash to pass lights come on with the high beams. More than bright enough to light up those dark roads.

I wanted something different and have a weekend project with my buddies.

Where in NC are you located? I liked you "MK5 GTI on the Cheap" post - how much do you charge for a headliner restoration??? :D

Last edited:

doc280

Ready to race!
I wanted something different and have a weekend project with my buddies.

Where in NC are you located? I liked you "MK5 GTI on the Cheap" post - how much do you charge for a headliner restoration??? :D

I got you, doing projects with friend always makes for good times. The older you get those projects with friends will turn to watching sports and drinking beer with friends.

I live in the Piedmont Triad area and though I am motivated enough to learn and maintain the GTI, to keep things cheap, I am in no way looking into extending this to other people's cars.

I do have some updates to by my "MK5 GTI on the Cheap" post just need to find a little time to write them up, thanks for reading it.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Love it! I have a rear light bar hooked to the reverse lights and an instant on switch on my wagon and I've been debating adding a front bar for a while now too.... I might have to do it!

-James