GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spare tire well

nrgman71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I want to do a false floor sub install in my mkv gti. However Whats the deal with the hub? Can it be removed? What is under it? Any help is appreciated.Thanks!!!!

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
US gti have all the emissions in that hump. Thats why its not there in a Euro spec car.

I have heard this several times, why would you be willing to cut the florr of your car out when there are a lot of other options, that keep the stock floor intack?

nrgman71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Im not gonna cut. Actually im hoping to hear some of the other setups at fixxfest,including your speaker box. Thanks for the response.

nrgman71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
Im not gonna cut. Actually im hoping to hear some of the other setups at fixxfest,including your speaker box. Thanks for the response.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
no, i can do 2 on the floor, you just have to relocate the jack, and mount the amp somewhere. You could mount the jack under 1 front seat, the amp under another

pirrimarin

n00b
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI 4DR
I'm currently building a false floor/box setup that's going to be exact same height of the current foam that's in there.
It's going to be a more extreme stealth setup, because it will fit under the rear hatch mat. It will fit 2 10" subs (up to 5½" mounting depth), but it will require me to lose the spare, because I'm using part of the spare tire well to accommodate the magnets of the subs.

The bottom mold was made last weekend, I expect to start the MDF fabrication this weekend.

Pics to come :headbang:

nrgman71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I'm currently building a false floor/box setup that's going to be exact same height of the current foam that's in there.
It's going to be a more extreme stealth setup, because it will fit under the rear hatch mat. It will fit 2 10" subs (up to 5½" mounting depth), but it will require me to lose the spare, because I'm using part of the spare tire well to accommodate the magnets of the subs.

The bottom mold was made last weekend, I expect to start the MDF fabrication this weekend.

Pics to come :headbang:

looking foward to the pics!

plac

GTI Master
This is the amp rack design I will be copying. This is especially attractive to me since I dont have to raise my trunk floor. This will be a very easy amp rack to make with MDF. I might go with 1/2" MDF or Birch for weight savings, but 3/4" MDF is probably the proper thing to use..

I have done a system in a spare tire well, about 8-9 years ago:

My old sound page with many projects for people that dont know my history:

http://74.220.202.31/~bellbott/sounds.html

Last edited:

pirrimarin

n00b
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI 4DR
I wasn't making it up when I said I was working on a stealth box that allows for a regular (not a shallow) sub or even multiple subs to be used :cool:

Please forgive/ignore the amateur fabrication, this is my first attempt at fabricating any kind of box... so don't expect Nik Brewer-like quality :wink:

Here are the pics:

Taped the area and laid down the first layers of glass

MDF bottom shelf with outline of factory foam pieces.

Fiberglass piece and MDF bottom shelf already paired together. Liquid deadener also applied.

Side view of the bottom half of the box.

Trunk / Spare tire well area with liquid deadener treatment.

Test fit in the trunk; also notice change to the box design (taller, more narrow chamber) to make room for integrated amp/processor rack.

And... mock-up of the subs in their respective ghetto, jigsaw made rings (notice how perfectly round they are... NOT).

The top of the box is going to be fiberglass as well. As much as I'd like to make most of the box out of MDF to prevent flex (and a shit load of extra work), I would have ended up with a box that's too tall, which would defeat my stealth purposes.
This box will be exactly 4" tall, which is the exact height of the factory foam that surrounds the spare tire.

Before the subs go in, the enclosure nets about 1.56ft³, which is just about right for the 2 MTX 4500's that I'm using, each sub likes .75ft³ for a sealed enclosure.

More to come later.