GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JL CleanSweep?

derekjl

Ready to race!
Anyone have the JL CleanSweep for the stock head unit? Will I lose the steering wheel controls? Do I need an amp?

mKvDuBBy

SoFa KiNg FaSt
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Anyone have the JL CleanSweep for the stock head unit? Will I lose the steering wheel controls? Do I need an amp?

i dont think so. I am trying to find the same answers but nobody wants to help.

962dreamer

Schumacher wannabe
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Re: Clean Sweep

I'm considering this myself. Went to the local JL Audio dealer and was informed that the Clean Sweep will only act in concert with an aftermarket amp.

It was suggested that the Clean Sweep be used with the JL 300/4 amp initially and keep the factory speakers for starters. If not satisfied, move to aftermarket stuff.

This is not an inexpensive approach. Installation to include amp rack in the rear hatch area, wiring and incidentals plus the Clean Sweep/Amp will cost ~ $1K.

HTH -

sonomamkvdsg

7 time F1 Champ
Car(s)
2006 MKV DSG TR
most goog car audio people suggest replacing spekers first. That is the best and most economical way to upgrade the system. they will have to install crossovers to prevent anticlipping but insatalling headuniot and amp with stock speakers is a waste of money. usually you will end up with fried stock speakers pretty quick and have to repalce them anyway. Maybe thats the plan for your guy.

SpecialFX

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I added a sub and amp to the stock system and it works out really well. The stock speakers sound pretty good and don't clip once you cut out all the bass going to them. I haven't heard the other options, but it seems to me, sub(s)/amp is the best fix.

mKvDuBBy

SoFa KiNg FaSt
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I added a sub and amp to the stock system and it works out really well. The stock speakers sound pretty good and don't clip once you cut out all the bass going to them. I haven't heard the other options, but it seems to me, sub(s)/amp is the best fix.

how did you go about doing that. do you have a DIY and what stuff did you put in your car.

seypea

I swapped out my speakers and added a sub in the back w/ a 5channel amp. diddn't do the clean sweep and my setup sounds real sweet. Not needed if you change ouf the speakers and amp it up!

sonomamkvdsg

7 time F1 Champ
Car(s)
2006 MKV DSG TR
THe head unit is probably the least important part to good sound(providing the unit is good as in the MKV's) as evident buy previous posts. Power upgrades and speaker changes are the place to start.

SpecialFX

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
without the cleansweep, it just takes more button pushing and knob twisting to get the sound you like. that is all subjective of course, but I got my stock system sounding good with a sub added.

LittleCarp04

Passed Driver's Ed
hey i know its kinda old, but ill pipe in.

The Cleansweep unit is a unit that will take all your speaker level inputs from your stock headunit (only up to 4 channels) and will un-equalize the signal, and put out a much cleaner and flat signal to go to aftermarket amplifiers.

If your going to upgrade youre speakers I would definately suggest getting either a Cleansweep unit or the (better IMO) Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1 or .2. The stock radios always will be equalized before hand to help counteract the quality deficiencies in the equipment, so certain freq will be enhanced and others decreased. this helps stock system sound better, but really wouldnt help with aftermarket speakers or espeically could hurt you if youre putting in amplifiers to speakers of any kind.

If you are just wanting to throw some better speakers in there, and want to retain all your steering wheel controls, then the Cleansweep would be fine for you, but if you are also wanting to put a subwoofer, then the 3sixty is by far the superior unit, the main drawback is that you need a palm to tune the 3sixty, but nonetheless it is a AmAZING unit. offers the quality of the highest end radios with the look and useability of all your stock radio equipment. Hopefully this helped those people with any questions about their OEM integration options.

LittleCarp04

Passed Driver's Ed
the difference between the cleansweep and the LC6/8 is that the cleansweep and 3sixty un-equalize the stock radio, whereas the LC6/8 is jsut a more expensive set of LOC(line out converters) but still are a very nice unit for the price.