GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choose GTI over what cars?

hipstomper

Go Kart Newbie
I was lucky and didn't really have to decide between the GTi and another car. I've wanted a Golf ever since college when my buddy had one that was modded a little and that was a hoot to drive. I can finally comfortably afford one so I never looked back in my decision (now just waiting to test drive one). I drive an older Civic right now and really never considered a new model Civic.

What other cars did you consider and what made you guys decide to get a GTI over its competitors?

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Civic Type R (only fantastic in high rev range and on track, good looking)
Seat Leon Cupra R (gr8 18" wheels as standard, bland interior and based on Mk4 Golf platform)
Mini Cooper S (too small, but gr8 looks)
Audi S3 (bit old fashioned looking now)

probably would have chosen the new Focus ST had it been available this time last year, although I've never driven one.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Nice photos ChalkyWhite
I've just ordered my Black MkV GTI 5 Door.

Alternatives were:
Seat Leon FR/Cupra (couldn't wait)
Audi S3 (as above)
Audi A3 3.2 (too expensive)
Ford Focus ST

35NYR

Ready to race!
Looked at S3 and Civic SI. In the end just wanted to own German car with a fanatic following.. = Golf GTI!

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like everybody pretty much cross-shops the same few cars. For me it was A3, Civic, Focus, Mini. Seems like there's some cool hatches coming in the near future too like the Volvo C30.

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
I'm choosing it over the folowing:

- BMW 325i and 325Ci (too expensive for what you get)
- Audi A3 and A4 (too expensive for what you get)
- VW Jetta (too family car-ish)
- Mazdaspeed 6 (just not the right car for me)
- Acura TSX and TL (TSX to family car-ish, TL too much money)
- Subaru Impreza WRX (too ugly)
- Lexus IS250 (too expensive for what you get)
- Infiniti G35 Sedan (too family car-ish)

UnitedGrayGTI

Ready to race!
Audi A3

But, I most likely would have wanted the 3.2 and quattro so it would have been much more than the GTI. Also, North America only got the 5-door version.

BMW 330Ci

Gorgeous but too much $$$ for me.

illyun

Ready to race!
First car was a Nissan Micra 1.0l - very good for it is
Second car was a Mk3 8V GTI - never looked back :)
Have owned 10 GTIs over last 2 years - I HAD to try them all but never have driven a Mk4

3 x Mk1 1.8 GTIs
2 x Mk2 16v GTIs
Mk2 8v GTI
3x Mk3 GTIs
Mk3 VR6
Mk5 GTI Manual

oh and a 260 bhp Subaru Impreza STI - quick but boring and flimsy

Current collection:
Mk1 GTI Campaign - 62k
Mk2 16v Run-Out Edition - 57k
Mk2 G60 Syncro - 71k
Mk5 GTI Manual - on order for April 06

INForged

Ready to race!
illyun said:
Have owned 10 GTIs over last 2 years - I HAD to try them all but never have driven a Mk4

3 x Mk1 1.8 GTIs
2 x Mk2 16v GTIs
Mk2 8v GTI
3x Mk3 GTIs
Mk3 VR6
Mk5 GTI Manual

oh and a 260 bhp Subaru Impreza STI - quick but boring and flimsy

Current collection:
Mk1 GTI Campaign - 62k
Mk2 16v Run-Out Edition - 57k
Mk2 G60 Syncro - 71k
Mk5 GTI Manual - on order for April 06

10 Golfs!? Did you get to test drive the MK5? How's the current GTI compared to previous generation ones??

Flt93

Passed Driver's Ed
INForged said:
10 Golfs!? Did you get to test drive the MK5? How's the current GTI compared to previous generation ones??

I'm choosing it over keeping my current car (RSX) :biggrin: I didn't even think of getting a new car until I saw a GTI parked at a local dealership. Then after reading reviews on it I had to have it.

kosmo6

Ready to race!
I was considering an '06 Civic Si, a Mazdaspeed6, an RSX Type S, an Acura TSX, a Subaru WRX Limited, and a G35 6MT Coupe. Besides the G35 (which is too expensive), the GTI comes out on top, even against the Civic Si. I must say that I was not impressed with the car: great handling, but not enough torque and it would hold revs for a second after letting off the throttle.

GTI über alles

I confuse myself with my decision.

I will be getting a 5 door GTI over an Audi A3 Sport back (and 3 door gti)
If audi was to offer a 3 door A3 in NA I might consider getting an audi hatch over the gti in general.

The A3 is still a cool lookin car to me, but I have convinced myself that my next car will have to be a turbo (lighter for handling and tuneable)... the problem arrises with quattro. I simply cannot justify buying an Audi without quattro. :thumbdown:
I believe Audi is not planning on making a 2.0T quattro or at least not until a possible s3.
Audis 6cyl quattro would be a nice car but too expensive and like mentioned before i need my turbo.

I have never driven a FWD and do not own a mkv GTI YET
in all honesty im not sure what to expect.:help:
1st car audi 4kq (awd)
2nd car bmw 320i (rwd)
3rd car subaru legacy outback (awd)

In closing: GTI > A3

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Well the biggest "opposition" was the RenaultSport Megane 225. But the Golf was just a much better over all package....and I'm a VW fan. :)

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
i was thinking on getting either a used r32 or a Honda S2000, but the GTI is in my sights right now, im just waiting till my 21st b-day to get it which is this May 30, and it sucks out here in vegas since i cant do squat untill im 21 so this will b the best gift ever!!!