GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wipers fail - relay?

pan.pep

en exw ipothesi pelle!!!
Car(s)
Bncy Wäbit
hello all. my mkv wipers stopped working, and its really scary driving in heavy rain.
vag-com shows no error, i changed the motor but didnt fix it.

i then realized i couldnt hear the relay clicking. anyone has any idea which one the relay is??
i know they are all located under the steering wheel column, but dont know which one is exactly.

big_nebrowski

Ready to race!
The owner's manual has a list of the fuses and their locations. The windshield wiper fuse is located in the box under the hood on the driver's side (right next to the battery). I'm pretty sure the fuse is a 30A, but you should double check.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
hello all. my mkv wipers stopped working, and its really scary driving in heavy rain. ...
Invest in a bottle of RainX or equivalent until you get them fixed.
If applied properly, you can drive without wipers in anything from
light mist to torrential downpours and it will keep vision acceptable :wink:
...vag-com shows no error, i changed the motor but didnt fix it.

i then realized i couldnt hear the relay clicking. anyone has any idea which one the relay is??
i know they are all located under the steering wheel column, but dont know which one is exactly.
Any chance your hood switch is not working properly? (The Brits would call the hood a bonnet I guess).
There is a safety that disables the wipers if the hood is reporting as open.

Did not see a relay for wipers in the Bentley wiring diagram for the wiper circuits :iono:

Just did a quick test with my car, engine off - key on,
and there is no obvious relay clicking sound when activating the wipers.
The washer relays are clearly audible.

There are relays shown for the washer pumps and those relays
are on the side of Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519.

Seems the wiper motor receives control data from the Vehicle Electrical System Controller J519,
and the motor has a direct power connection.

Fuse on the main wiper motor assembly power feed is certainly a suspect. :iono:
The fuse for the wipers, as B_N said, is a 30A under the hood in Fuse Box B next to the battery.
On mine it is fuse #19, but I am not sure how much US and ROW cars vary.

With the intelligence programmed into the wiper subsystem (winter position, blade conditioning, etc.)
it would seem odd that it would be controlled by a relay per se.

There are fuses in Fuse Box C for the washer pumps, but didn't see any there for the wiper motor.

pan.pep

en exw ipothesi pelle!!!
Car(s)
Bncy Wäbit
thnks for all the info!!
i already checked the fuse, its good, and power is running through it when plugged.
i read the manual from erwin (i think thats what its called) and indeed doesnt say theres a relay for it.
but when u activate the rear one, u can hear the relay clicking! so im thinking to swap the two identical relays that are refered as pump 1 and 2....
and the hood switch is ok, checked it with vagcom, and tried activating the wipers with vagcom too with no result. even with the new motor..
the switch is also ok...
getting reaaly pissed off with this... tooooo much electronic things for just a wiper... toooo hard to fix,, and its a safety issue!!

pan.pep

en exw ipothesi pelle!!!
Car(s)
Bncy Wäbit
are you sure theres is nooo relay clicking when u activate ur front wipers?????? it should be hatd to hear as the motor will run almost instantly and the switch might click too make it hard to distinguish the relay sound..