GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ride Quality Becomes Harsh in 2nd Gear

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
After spending nearly $3k on repairs in the past two months, I have noticed that my GTI still isn't as smooth as I thought it would be. After doing some research, it seems like some issues are just straight up DSG quirks (like very aggressive engine braking). However, I was wondering if what I am experiencing is a quirk or if its an issue. Essentially, when I am in second gear and I let off the gas, it engine brakes pretty rough, but then if I let it roll for two or three more seconds, it jolts forward, like I pressed on the gas slightly (but in actuality I didnt). It also feels really rough to let the car coast after driving for 30+ min, and the car seems to be the most smooth for only 10-20 minutes after it reaches full temp.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Did you have the DSG fluid replaced yet? ("DSG Service"). If you had that done at a dealer, they would have test driven the car and advised you of the condition of the transmission. Driving around with dirty/worn out fluid is not what you want to be doing...

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you have the DSG fluid replaced yet? ("DSG Service"). If you had that done at a dealer, they would have test driven the car and advised you of the condition of the transmission. Driving around with dirty/worn out fluid is not what you want to be doing...
Yeah the fluid was just changed and actually before I got it checked it was super low. I also fixed a few other things with the transmission that did make it smoother as a whole, but I’m still experiencing this issue. Also, the mechanic did test drive and he said it definitely drives much smoother, so what I’m feeling might just be a dsg quirk.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
The dude I bought my car from said it had DSG service "fairly recently" The car had 57K on it. The DSG would lurch into a delayed engagement with 1st. gear or reverse when I
shifted from park or neutral and would "Hang" as you described in gear when it should have coasted as you back off the gas. The DSG service I had done (even though it wasn't due yet) and some more driving worked through those symptoms. Maybe yours will also. P.S. The other day, the DSG "shuddered" in reverse as I feathered the gas in reverse climbing over a low curb onto my lawn to park it. Drives fine otherwise. Go figure...

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Essentially, when I am in second gear and I let off the gas, it engine brakes pretty rough, but then if I let it roll for two or three more seconds, it jolts forward, like I pressed on the gas slightly (but in actuality I didnt).

Having a manual, I can tell you that the engine brakes pretty rough as well in 2nd and 1st. It jolts a bit when going very slow because, at low RPM instead of doing pure engine braking (no fuel used), it injects fuel to be able to power the accessories and to prevent the engine from stalling (you can see it on the live fuel monitor), then at very low RPM it will jolt more because when it injects fuel it brings a lot of torque to the wheels on small gears like this.

Now this is on a manual but don't forget that DSG is an manual automatized and not an automatic which will be smoother in this type of scenario due to the torque converter (much less torque to the wheels in this scenario).

My understanding is that if the DSG shifts/clutch rough there might be a problem but as long as it is in gear it seems to be the same as I am experiencing.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
The dude I bought my car from said it had DSG service "fairly recently" The car had 57K on it. The DSG would lurch into a delayed engagement with 1st. gear or reverse when I
shifted from park or neutral and would "Hang" as you described in gear when it should have coasted as you back off the gas. The DSG service I had done (even though it wasn't due yet) and some more driving worked through those symptoms. Maybe yours will also. P.S. The other day, the DSG "shuddered" in reverse as I feathered the gas in reverse climbing over a low curb onto my lawn to park it. Drives fine otherwise. Go figure...
What kind of work did you do on it to fix the problem, and how much driving did you do? I’m probably at ~100 miles driven since I had the DSG service done.

doc280

Ready to race!
Drive mode, kind of nervous to try sport mode at low speeds because before I got the service done it was 10x more harsh.

Ok in Drive mode it should be smooth, not automatic transmission smooth, but smooth. Sport mode I think is a little harsh, so during spirited drives, I use the paddles.

There is a mechtronics recall out there, has the recall been performed on your GTI? My dealer installed a new mechtronics, last year because of the recall.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok in Drive mode it should be smooth, not automatic transmission smooth, but smooth. Sport mode I think is a little harsh, so during spirited drives, I use the paddles.

There is a mechtronics recall out there, has the recall been performed on your GTI? My dealer installed a new mechtronics, last year because of the recall.
Unfortunately, the recall wasn’t done and my car is well past the base warranty, so I’m unable to get the service done unless I want to pay a lot of money.

doc280

Ready to race!
Unfortunately, the recall wasn’t done and my car is well past the base warranty, so I’m unable to get the service done unless I want to pay a lot of money.

A recall is a safety issue and has nothing to do with the warranty the vehicle came with. Mine had 190,000 miles and was 10 years old, when the recall was performed.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
A recall is a safety issue and has nothing to do with the warranty the vehicle came with. Mine had 190,000 miles and was 10 years old, when the recall was performed.
Apologizes for the very late reply, got caught up in some real life issues and haven’t been able to check the forum in awhile.

Anyways, they found a TSB for my car, but not a complete recall. That’s what they couldn’t do because I was past the base warranty. I will give the dealer another call to see if I do qualify for the recall, but they didn’t bring it up at all when I went in to get my car checked out.

doc280

Ready to race!
Apologizes for the very late reply, got caught up in some real life issues and haven’t been able to check the forum in awhile.

Anyways, they found a TSB for my car, but not a complete recall. That’s what they couldn’t do because I was past the base warranty. I will give the dealer another call to see if I do qualify for the recall, but they didn’t bring it up at all when I went in to get my car checked out.

If the dealer is no help, I would contact Volkswagen of America about the issue. A TSB should be covered also I have would think.

Nightmaarez

Passed Driver's Ed
If the dealer is no help, I would contact Volkswagen of America about the issue. A TSB should be covered also I have would think.

Okay I’ll try that out. I’m not sure if the dealer was trying to rip me off, but they agreed that there was a TSB but I’d have to pay for it because of the warranty thing, which ended up being around $1000. I ended up going to a family owned transmission shop and they were able to do the TSB for about $800, which was a little better. The issues I was talking about in my post started occurring after the TSB was fixed.

doc280

Ready to race!
I ended up going to a family owned transmission shop and they were able to do the TSB for about $800, which was a little better. The issues I was talking about in my post started occurring after the TSB was fixed.

Oh, that is going to be a problem. Letting a third party into the gearbox has really let Volkswagen off the hook. Volkswagen is just going to point the finger at the transmission shop as to why the gearbox is no working properly. To be honest I would be pointing my finger at the transmission shop, with the facts presented.