GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flashing gear selector

flop

I'm sorry inadvance for asking this question but u can't find anything similar to my issue. The other day i "reset" my transmission by turning the key pushing the accelerator all the way down and counting to 30, turned the key off and went about my day. After I left the gym I noticed that the gear selectors on the dash were flashing (like the Megatronic failure that is common) However I have not lost any gears and the car is behaving normally. Can anyone help? My dealer said not to worry and go drive it.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rickyfinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds silly but have you tried taking off your positive battery terminal and touching it to your negative terminal. If that doesn't work I'd be on the way to VW.

flop

No I have not tried that. I'm going to remove the battery ground tonight and let her sit and see if that resets the ecm. Touching the positive to negative is new to me and I've been in this game a long long time.

flop

so I had the code pulled Cleared and it immediately returned 00194is the code> I looked it up and have no clue where to start.

00194 - Ignition Key Removal Lock

00194 - Ignition Key Removal Lock: Implausible Signal

Possible Causes
Communication Failure with Gear Selector Module
Selector Lever (E313) faulty
Tiptronic Buttons (F189) in Selector Lever (E313) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Communication with Gear Selector Module
Check Selector Lever (E313) Check Measuring Value Block (MVB) in Transmission Control Module

Check Tiptronic Buttons (F189) in Selector Lever (E313) Check Measuring Value Block (MVB) in Transmission Control Module

Special Notes
May be stored in Combination with 28775/U0103/049411.

I guess Ill start with the ignition electronics and go from there.
Any additional advice is much appreciated.

Bosley

My dealer said not to worry and go drive it.

So basically, your dealer told you to screw off. Nice.

Maybe you didn't go through your steps thoroughly and missed one? When a car thinks something is wrong and there's not, and the driver did something in particular preceding that, it's usually driver error. I'm not picking on you, but that's generally the way it works.

Last edited:

flop

Bosley
I agree, driver error is a regular issue no matter the make of vehicle. The issue has been resolved, somehow, someway, the up shift paddle shifter went bad at the sametime and was not communicating with the rest of the drive train.

dubbinintheboysroom

How did you figure out it was the paddle shifter? Was it as simple as not shifting up when pulled? I've got the same flashing gear indicator issue, but my paddle shifters up/down shift like they're supposed to, as does my stick in tiptronic. No change whatsoever in performance. And the flashing is intermittent. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's when I start the car, sometimes it's switching from tiptronic back to auto, sometimes while driving but not even touching the stick. The only way it'll stop flashing is when I ignition-cycle though. Most of the time it doesn't flash at all lol.

Don't mean to hijack, just curious.

Kevlor84

Hey all, - long time stalker, first time poster:

I have a similar but not identical problem and the day before Christmas I'm not gunna get help from a mechanic!

The last couple of days, the shift between tiptronic and D has felt a little off. Just like it wasn't sitting correctly in D - gear changes themselves are fine, just the selector felt a bit strange, but not terrible.

Today when I've shifted from Tip, to D then R, it's grabbed a bit then PRNDS have started flashing. Turning the car off then on again seems to clear it and I can shift into reverse.

The gears and changes seem fine, so I think it's a selector issue, but could this cause me to lose gears if I keep running over the next few days of holidays? :help:

Any help appreciated!
Kev

Reminds me of the 50s Rock & Roll song: Beep-Beep, Beep-Beep, Little Nash Rambler,
How do I Get this car out of 2nd gear?

Can someone here post it up?