GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS - your card verification practice $1 chg is triggering fraud alert for my bank

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My bank flagged and put a hold on my credit card because ECS has started doing a 1 dollar charge to test my credit card or something when I place an order. I called ECS this morning at about 8:15am to confirm the 1 dollar charge and to report the difficulty this causes. I was politely told it was standard practice and the 1 dollar charge was removed.

Unfortunately that is also the practice of thieves who steal credit cards. Test a stolen card number to see if it has been reported by charging a nominal amount first. My bank put a fraud alert on my card and created a very inconvenient situation for me. It was rectified with a phone call but that is not something you like to have to contend with.

ECS: if you are watching these posts - please stop the practice. I mostly use Paypal but I like to be able to use a credit card as well.

Thank You,
Larry McGrath

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I have had multiple companies charge me a $1 holding charge of some sort when I bought stuff online, seems like a fairly standard practice IMHO. Most gas pumps, etc put a hold on cards now. I think this would be an issue with your card rather than any retailer.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have had multiple companies charge me a $1 holding charge of some sort when I bought stuff online, seems like a fairly standard practice IMHO. Most gas pumps, etc put a hold on cards now. I think this would be an issue with your card rather than any retailer.

The practice of pre-authorization makes sense when the purchase price is unknown and the company just wants to verify the account is real and available before letting you do something like buy gas (immediate possession) and they won't be submitting the the balance to the bank for a couple of days. It makes no sense in an online retail situation where the vendor knows the full amount, has not given me anything and can get authorization immediately or as least before they ship. They are doing this for their convenience and savings, this is not something they have to do.
[/rant]

Last edited:

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Larry,

Thanks for your feedback, sounds like this was already discussed this with one of our customer service reps - Standard practice that has been used for years with very minimal issues.

You can always talk with your card company or use paypal. Further questions or concerns don't hesitate to call in! 1.800.924.5172

Thanks, Andy

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Larry,

Thanks for your feedback, sounds like this was already discussed this with one of our customer service reps - Standard practice that has been used for years with very minimal issues.

You can always talk with your card company or use paypal. Further questions or concerns don't hesitate to call in! 1.800.924.5172

Thanks, Andy

I normally use paypal, probably why I never noticed it.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
Would you rather have to make a single inconvenient phone call or sit on the phone all day when your card gets hacked and your account gets maxed out???

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Would you rather have to make a single inconvenient phone call or sit on the phone all day when your card gets hacked and your account gets maxed out???

That is exactly what I had to do. They did not take the 1 dollar off, in fact the 1 dollar showed up on my card well after I had made the purchase and received the merchandise, like a week later.

Hackers also test cards using small amounts before making an unauthorized purchase. In this case I made a purchase, received the merchandise and then a 1 dollar charge showed up, not followed by a purchase and my bank put a hold on my card until I called and verified the charge, not fun when you are at dinner with friends.

If they had placed and removed the charge in the right order at the right time it would have been business as usual and no problem for me.

My card has been hacked 4 times in the last 2 years. Credit card system in the US is broken. We need multi factor authentication.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
That is exactly what I had to do. They did not take the 1 dollar off, in fact the 1 dollar showed up on my card well after I had made the purchase and received the merchandise, like a week later.

Hackers also test cards using small amounts before making an unauthorized purchase. In this case I made a purchase, received the merchandise and then a 1 dollar charge showed up, not followed by a purchase and my bank put a hold on my card until I called and verified the charge, not fun when you are at dinner with friends.

If they had placed and removed the charge in the right order at the right time it would have been business as usual and no problem for me.

My card has been hacked 4 times in the last 2 years. Credit card system in the US is broken. We need multi factor authentication.

At no point in your original statement did you inform anyone that they charged you a dollar after the fact. If that is the case, I would also find that odd.