GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI Clutch Noise Diagnosis Needed (video)

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Hey guys, take a look at the video I made of the clutch noise. I think it's the throwout/clutch release bearing, but I'm no mechanic, so I need some input.

The noise started when driving a bit spiritedly this morning. It initially was pretty quiet and only really noisy in 4th and 6th gears, but now after driving it 30 miles back to my house, it sounds like the devil's throwing up in every gear. It is much, much louder while driving in gear than just sitting in neutral in my driveway.

I have made an appointment to get it looked at, but they can't take it until next Monday, so I have a while to do a self diagnosis and maybe get a new clutch kit ordered. Looks like the 500whp WRX will be my daily for the next week....damn. ;P

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a similar problem. Mine is decently quieter than yours and doesn't sound as 'shaky' but its definitely similar to yours. I was told it was because I converted to single mass flyhweel.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Jesus that awful! How does clutch engagement and hold feel. I've had a DMF failure and it definitely didn't sound like that. Sounds more like you threw a bolt or two... or three, etc on your pressure plate allowing the friction disk and intermediate plate to slap around. It's possible it's around DMF failure but with that much sound I'm suspecting the clutch itself.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I'm finally taking the car in today since the shop has been so busy recently, so hopefully I'll know what the problem is by the end of the day tomorrow. Either way, I've purchased the Southbend Stage 2 Daily clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing kit. I just hope more hasn't been damaged.

Clutch engagement and hold actually doesn't feel as bad as you might think, at least not in 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear. I might make another video of me driving it this afternoon. I'll make sure to post updates on here after a full diagnosis and fix so if anyone has this problem in the future, they will know what to do.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Just as an update: The main problem was with the Dual Mass Flywheel and teeth that had broken off. The throwout bearing was in OK shape and the friction disc was completely worn down and needed replacement anyways. The clutch was replaced with the same Southbend stage 2 daily that lasted me for over 125K miles. Here's the weird thing though...after replacement of the clutch, when the car is shifted into 4th and 6th gears, that same grinding noise as seen in the video comes back and it's as if the car is in neutral. So I don't have 4th or 6th and it looks like the problem could be with the transmission. Well, this sucks. The transmission is being pulled now for diagnosis, I hope it's something easy or else I could be buying a new tranny.