GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to charge & play your iPhone 4 using iPod Adapter

roruss08gti

Have you been RickRolled?
Car(s)
08 GTI
Just to be clear, would I need the Dice i-VW-R VW IPod Adapter as well or does the G2 cradle do it all?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Nope the Dice box gives you an iphone cable interface. Put it on your seat or whatever you want.

The G2 mount is just if you want a dash mounted docking station.

Last edited:

roruss08gti

Car(s)
08 GTI
Nope the box gives you an iphone cable interface. Put it on your seat or whatever you want.

The mount is just if you a dash mounted docking station.

Ok, this didn't reallt answer my question. What box are you talking about?

Davesolo

The box Junker is referring to is the actual Dice component. Click the Amazon link and look at the picture, the black box with the Dice logo is it. All the cables and harnesses plug into this.

I got mine delivered yesterday, while I didn't install I did take pull out the factory adapter in the arm rest and saw how to make the connections. It's pretty simple. With this you'll have a 5v ipod wire connection so you can rest the iphone on the pass seat/cup holder or get a dash mount which Junker linked.

Hope this helps

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
:thumbsup:
The box Junker is referring to is the actual Dice component. Click the Amazon link and look at the picture, the black box with the Dice logo is it. All the cables and harnesses plug into this.

I got mine delivered yesterday, while I didn't install I did take pull out the factory adapter in the arm rest and saw how to make the connections. It's pretty simple. With this you'll have a 5v ipod wire connection so you can rest the iphone on the pass seat/cup holder or get a dash mount which Junker linked.

Hope this helps

roruss08gti

Car(s)
08 GTI

Hope this helps
Yup, helped a bunch:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Here are a couple photos to give you an idea of what I did.

1) Top-down of center console
2) Angel view of where I placed the Dice box
3 and 4) Pictures of the old iPod dock that I removed to route the new connector cable

Hope this helps with the install. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• topview.JPG
    topview.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 9,285
  • boxview.JPG
    boxview.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 9,287
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 9,270
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 9,332

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
BTW - I'm not impressed with Pro Kit USA with the mount order... They email me 4-5 days after I ordered it to tell me it's back ordered, can't do better than ground for $12... the expedited shipping options are for $18 and $25... and try to up sell me with a holder in the same email. I kindly told them I wasn't interested in the mount or in paying $25 to ship a $30 mount to make up for a delay in their fulfillment. So, if anyone comes across another brand please let me know.

Davesolo

:coolpics:

Junker -

I made all the connections last night and it works great. Sure was a pain to get the old adapter's circuit board out. I'm heading over to my buddies garage - he owns http://www.gutenparts.com/ to finish up the install nicely.

In the 2nd photo is the Dice box in the lower right? Thanks again for all the info

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
In the 2nd photo is the Dice box in the lower right? Thanks again for all the info

Absolutely no problem. Yes, I placed the box in the recess on the passenger side of the cubby near the rear. You'll see the almost perfectly sized place for it. The cubby will barely fit back in to the center console but it will.

About pulling out the old iPod tray from the cubby... there are two small black plastic buttons on the outside of the cubby that also have to be popped off to pull it out. That was the only thing that took me a few minutes to figure out what was still holding it in without the screws. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Davesolo

Here's my install:

(1) Hole at bottom of cubby
(2) Dice box velcroed to cubby exterior recess - I taped the box and totally ground down the screw tabs
(3) installed with ipod/iphone cable

I set the dip switches to allow total control from my iphone4 - ipod, Pandora, anything else that streams (provided you've got a good signal) works great and sounds great since its through the CD hookup.

Junker - thanks a ton for this.

Everyone else - this a great primer if you've got the Premium 7 install with the factory ipod adapter on Apple's 12v firewire standard and want to spend $100-120 to upgrade so you can use with your iphone4.

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    IMG_0733.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,020

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Pro.Fit Mount and Holder

This is the mount and holder that I went with. The combined cost was $35. They are made in Germany and very high quality. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

Pro.Fit International MI-200BG miniGRIP Universal Smart Phone Holder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LSI0IS

Pro.Fit International MV-50-03-L Vehicle Specific Mount VSM Legend
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H4FKI

I'm routing the cable from the center console up under the center console plastic trim and bringing it up at the handle. Attached it with a zip tie so that it has the right, tidy length

Attachments

• DSC01058.JPG
    DSC01058.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,413
  • DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 1,392
  • DSC01060.JPG
    DSC01060.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,398
  • DSC01061.JPG
    DSC01061.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,378

TinaVDub

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Well... I definitely need to do this to my 08' GTI. I can't handle not having my iTunes music in my car. Being a 25 year old girl with no installation experience what so ever... this should be interesting. I just don't want to permanently damage anything. You guys make it look easy though! Wish me luck! :)

P.S Do you think this connection will work with future Iphone models?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
First post! Nice! I really is easy and if you run into any problems just post it here or PM me. I'm actually surprised there wasn't more traffic on this thread. It turned my useless stereo and iPod adapter into an amazing iPod interface. Well worth it...but they mount is especially nice. You have everything like maps or pandora in an easy to see position while driving. Good luck!

VWTiger

I am the Stig
Just ordered mine today. This is the only feature that my Civic had that my GTI doesn't. Thanks for the easy walkthrough junker, it will help next week when I install it.