GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

St. Louis Thread #3

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Yea I'd say the bushings would be something to do at the same time since you'll have the suspension apart.

bushings dont really come apart when doing suspension (atleast control arm bushings). The only part they really share that gets separated is the ball joint and thats only 3 bolts. I guess it might be easier to physically get to when swapping suspension but the labor rate shouldnt change by much if youre paying someone to do it

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally dropped the car onto some Koni Yellows and Eibach Sportlines. I think I got hosed by the shop though - or charged for labor while they tried to figure it out - $500 for install and alignment (already had parts). I really need to learn and do this myself.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Finally dropped the car onto some Koni Yellows and Eibach Sportlines. I think I got hosed by the shop though - or charged for labor while they tried to figure it out - $500 for install and alignment (already had parts). I really need to learn and do this myself.

$500 is a bit steep, but its not the worst I've seen.

How's it coming along all?

My car still has rev hang issues, but going to sowo this weekend to meet with the tuner to hopefully get it fixed up.

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice - Hope they got you sorted out. I actually hit up Cars & Coffee in StL on Saturday. Some really nice cars out there, but not many VWs. Just one guy in his newer GTI with some plaid vinyl inlays.

I imagine all the VW people were down at SoWo or over in Weston.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Nice - Hope they got you sorted out. I actually hit up Cars & Coffee in StL on Saturday. Some really nice cars out there, but not many VWs. Just one guy in his newer GTI with some plaid vinyl inlays.

I imagine all the VW people were down at SoWo or over in Weston.

Tuner bailed on me of course, so it's not sorted yet, but may be working with a new tuner on it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sowo was great as usual, saw a few people from St. Louis there but not a ton.

posted using tapatalk

pbrunts

08 Rabbit
Car(s)
mk7 Golf R
Hey guys,

Looking to join the St Louis VW scene a little and have a few questions:

I've seen some of the StL specific forums and I've looked around some of the larger forums with StL threads. Seems to be a pretty slow scene. Am I missing something?

Do you guys do any of the local events like StL Solo or Wide Open Wednesdays? I was at the Fun Ford Weekend event at GMP a few weekends ago and I would love to participate in an autocross even like the one there in my '08 rabbit. I'm interested in some drag too, but I understand our cars are much more suited for autox than straight drag.

Is there anywhere in StL that specializes in VW performance? I prefer DIY mods, but I won't be able to do everything. I've looked at Reid Vann a little and wanted to know if there were more options.

Thanks!

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Hey guys,

Looking to join the St Louis VW scene a little and have a few questions:

I've seen some of the StL specific forums and I've looked around some of the larger forums with StL threads. Seems to be a pretty slow scene. Am I missing something?

Do you guys do any of the local events like StL Solo or Wide Open Wednesdays? I was at the Fun Ford Weekend event at GMP a few weekends ago and I would love to participate in an autocross even like the one there in my '08 rabbit. I'm interested in some drag too, but I understand our cars are much more suited for autox than straight drag.

Is there anywhere in StL that specializes in VW performance? I prefer DIY mods, but I won't be able to do everything. I've looked at Reid Vann a little and wanted to know if there were more options.

Thanks!

We do have a local club (stlvw.org) and you'll find our forums on that site as well. The forums are barely used anymore though because everyone likes the facebook groups. Here is the STLVW facebook group link https://www.facebook.com/groups/114682151959014/, feel free to join! I can approve you once you submit a request to join. We've got a gtg coming up on September 30th.

As for VW performance shops, you've got Reid Vann and ET Tuning. ET Tuning is a little far out in Union, but awesome shop. Reid Vann is kind of meh for us since they mostly deal with Porsches and are kind of expensive.

I will also be offering E-Tuners tunes here soon as I'll be the only E-Tuners vendor here in the US. Just working with E-Tuners now to iron out everything and get my car tuned to post results.

04sedantyson

going to post this here as well:

Hey fellows,
New to the GTI, currently have a 97 golf with 236k miles. Im gonna throw this out there and see what happends.

I found a 06 Black GTI in the saint Charles area with 84k miles on it. Tinted windows, 2-door, DSG. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it before I go check it out. I found an invoice on line that a dealer sent me, it had the camfollower something replaced and new timing belt replaced. stated it didn't start well after it sat for a while, and transmission wouldn't shift above 4th gear unless manually selected.

Thanks for your help
Tyson

azier

Passed Driver's Ed
After reading your post a bit more, it's nice that the camfollower is done. I hope it was done as preventative maintenance and not because it disintegrated. Timing belt is usually a 100k service, so again, I hope it was done as a preventative measure and not because something more catastrophic happened. As for the transmission not shifting above 4th - if it's a DSG and you're having that problem, best to just avoid it.

04sedantyson

Well being a mechanic for 10 years. I checked the car out, looked good everything drove good no leaks. So I bought it. 1200 miles into driving it, cruise set at 60, check engine light comes on, but still drives fine. I have ordered a updated bov and new pcv set up already cause it's seems these two things are weak. Il bring it autozone and have the codes pulled to see what it is. Il give an update when I find out. Thanks for the replies
Tyson

ohDirka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I sold my MKV GTI in the St Louis area a couple months ago. If someone you know has purchased an 07 Black Magic Pearl GTI within the past few months let me know. The car had a US Mill Works tow hook front plate, dark tint, and yellow Lamen-X fog covers that were kind of unique. I will tell them all I know about the car. I have some stock parts and a few parts that I was going to install but didn't get a chance to install that I'll give them.

This is what I wish the previous owners would all do when they sell their cars to me. I traded the car in so I was not able to give details to the next owner.