GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get to the keyfob receiver?

Bremenpl

Hello there,
I own a VW Golf 5 from 2004. I have a problem with remote car unlock range. I have 2 sets of keys. The first one never worked and and the second ones range decreased with time drastically (I bought the car second hand around 4 years a go). At the moment I need to stand next to the car window in order to remotely unlock the car.

I tried to replace the batteries in the keys many times but that did not help. I thought there problem could lie in the keys so I disassembled them and asked for help on this forums: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/329839/weak-key-fob-signal

I have obtained a suggestion that more likely there is a problem with the receiver, not the transmitter, ie. electronic components or antenna corrosion.

I would like to fix that but I dont know how to get to the receiver electronics inside the car. I only know that in theory the receiver circuitry should be placed somewhere near the steering wheel. Is there any guide or tutorial on how to disassemble just as little pieces inside the car just in order to get there?

I would appreciate all hints and help.

Last edited: