GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Request for comment: VW oil spec criticism

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
So, I'm shopping for oil for my wife's car on Amazon and under Pennzoil Platinum 0w 40 reviews I saw the following from "Tara" posted January 3rd. 2017.

"Technically a better product than the Platinum Euro 0w-40 without the extra cost of VW 502 spec, which is antiquated anyway. Worth mentioning to avoid low additive VW 504 oil, it doesn't play well with our high sulphur and alcohol fuel, plus USA has a rich tune for low NOx emissions. Gas-To-Liquid base oil means zero crude to form deposits. 200ppm of molybdenum too, possibly the new Tri-nuclear moly."

What about 'dis? I'm no oil expert but Tara speaks like she is... I know there are a lot of intelligent and knowledgeable entities in here so I thought I'd bring this to our attention.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Depends if you have any current warranty left on anything. If you do, I'd stick with a VW spec. If not, it's up to you. Once I was out of warranty, I ran Rotella T6.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Depends if you have any current warranty left on anything. If you do, I'd stick with a VW spec. If not, it's up to you. Once I was out of warranty, I ran Rotella T6.

x2

Gruppe917

Ready to race!
This oil stuff becomes needle in a haystack sometimes. And people tend to over analyze stuff without much context being presented.

No mention of what makes it "better" than the "euro" stuff; better is always a relative term.

What makes the VW spec antiquated? Antiquated for what purposes? According to VAG, it is their latest oil spec as best I'm aware, so for these cars, it's current, until futher notice.

There are many, many good oils out there. Tons that you can find locally, for a good price, others that you can order.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I'm a big Mobil 1 fan, their track record speaks for itself. It's used in Vipers and Corvettes. Personally not a fan of 0w-40 and Castrol does not work as well for me. I like the 10w-30 or 10w-40 if I can find it, and do early (5-7k) oil changes. This has worked for me in all my cars, many many miles. The turbo diesel 5w-40 would be ideal but only comes in 4 quarts. These do not meet their magic spec, but from what I understand it's just an additive pack.

Gruppe917

Ready to race!
What makes the difference in oils is their base + additive pack - varying levels of different things to allow it to meet/exceed certain OE requirements. So saying it's just an additive pack is correct - and that pack is what likely makes it meet, or not meet, the car manufacturers requirements.

The thing to keep in mind is for everyone who loves brand A, 5 people will hate it and suggest brand B....and 10 people will hate B. It just goes round in circles.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just tried it, and not sure what the hype is about it. I prefer Liquimoli to it:iono:

Have you done UOA on both after running in your car for similar mileage or are you just stating a personal preference based on nothing? I use LiquiMoly Synthoil Premium myself but can't really say anything concrete about it being better than ony other particular oil even considering I have a UOA done on every single oil change for the past 4-5 years. All I know is that my analysis results have been coming back looking good so I'm satisfied.