GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust "gunk"

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
Ever since my car was stg 2 flashed and the turbo back installed, there is quite a bit more exhaust "gunk"showing on the rear hatch lid. My assumption is that with the less restrictive cat (200 metal cell high flow), it allows for less exhaust to be "filtered out" before the tail pipe.
Can someone please confirm this and/or offer some insight? Thanks.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Lmaooo^

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Weekly Washings solves your problem. I'm catless and my rear gets all sorts of dirty.

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
For the record...I do wash and wax that thing regularly and the orange looks great!:lol:
Thanks guys!

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I believe your initial assumption is correct. The stock downpipe has two cats and is quite restrictive - it should cook off a lot more unburnt fuel than a performance setup that uses only one racing cat. The gunk you are experiencing is probably unburnt fuel.

dj210

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI DSG
try removed cats and resonator... tips look like they came flat black.. and my friends hate driving behind me:iono:

KenTX

No, Money Down!
I have the same issue, and it's the the Stage 2 software running more rich. I ran my catted EJ downpipe with APR Stage 1 for many months, and didnt see a difference over the stock exhaust. However, as soon as I re-flashed to Stage 2, I noticed lots of soot on the hatch, and hitch mounted bike rack.

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption? I'm averaging 22-23mpg since the s2 flash. Please note that this is not pushing the car a whole lot and driving pretty civilized. Have even tried driving like a grandma with smooth off the line acceleration and still get ~23mpg :iono:

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Would running "richer" also add to the additional fuel consumption? I'm averaging 22-23mpg since the s2 flash. Please note that this is not pushing the car a whole lot and driving pretty civilized. Have even tried driving like a grandma with smooth off the line acceleration and still get ~23mpg :iono:

Running rich will add to fuel consumption but 22-23 is pretty low. Whats you average drive? City vs Highway? Speeds?

the best Ive seen my car do is 37.3 mpg in a trip. That tank I got an over all of 34/5 mpg. I try to stick to 2000-2200 rpms while highway cruising. This puts me at about 60ish mph. If I go to 70 or 80 mph I see my mpg drop to 28-30. Even now at 2+ I still see 30mpg. However I love to see it go from 30 to 9 when I get on it:happyanim:

Jekyll

Word.
Car(s)
07 GTI
Running rich will add to fuel consumption but 22-23 is pretty low. Whats you average drive? City vs Highway? Speeds?

the best Ive seen my car do is 37.3 mpg in a trip. That tank I got an over all of 34/5 mpg. I try to stick to 2000-2200 rpms while highway cruising. This puts me at about 60ish mph. If I go to 70 or 80 mph I see my mpg drop to 28-30. Even now at 2+ I still see 30mpg. However I love to see it go from 30 to 9 when I get on it:happyanim:

wow...37.3!!; never in my car. The best I've seen in my car is 33 going about 65mph avg in a 1.5hr hwy drive. My daily commute is only about 10mi with only 25% being hwy. On the way there, there's a about a 2mi of pretty good curvy down hill and I may get 27 at the very most. On the way back I only get about 22-23mpg. I've been averaging 300-315mi per tank and topping it off with about 13-13.5 gal. The car runs great and no codes are present :iono: