GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen Golf R & Scirocco R Launched

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Gday,

Could there be some truth in that the Golf R may come in as an entry level car (3dr, Manual) at under $50k. I have heard this from 2 different dealers now and a friend has preordered one and was told the same!....Looking at the NZ price list above, the relative GTI/R pricing does indicate this!...could this be so?

I can't even be bothered trying to explain how far fetched a $50K starting price for the Golf R is except to say...

Yeah, there's a chance. There's also a chance you'll get a blow job from the tooth fairy as well.

I know you're just repeating what your mate has been told, but, honestly, your mate has been fed a line of the best A grade horseshit ever supplied to a car dealer.

:yikes:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Here is a short AUTOCAR review of the Volkswagen Golf 'R'.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Volkswagen-Golf-2.0-TSI-270-R/246100/

A little bit refined & understated ... yes. But fast nonetheless.
Basically a softer recloned Audi S3 with same motor.
Turbo ain't on boost until 2500 rpm as in the case of the Pirelli GTI, making for a bit more lag & less in-town drivability than the MK6 GTI which comes on boost at 1700 rpm.

nothing a retune and exhaust/dump pipe wouldn't fix. Will still be f'n fast like S3..

Turbo lag isn't the best but you know what's coming shortly..

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
that's it. i'm gonna become a temporary member of the Film Actors Guild and make an emotional statement. the new R is like a dog turd in the park...same shit different asshole. VW should have put a turbocharged V5 in it. The R badge deserves it. All the R's til now have been unique vehicles. No what do they do S3 clone with new chassis. An utter disgrace. Das auto neine, Das Schisse! Hence why i'm holding onto my R32, especially when TC and SC kits are now a reality in OZ.

Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
Yeah, there's a chance. There's also a chance you'll get a blow job from the tooth fairy as well.

Sig worthy :thumbsup: :biggrin:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Worth noting that if the new Golf 'R' MANUAL has a MANUAL gearbox anything like the MK6 GTI, then maybe the current Audi S3 MANUAL may be better suited to the purist. The MANUAL in the MK6 GTI controls take offs & possibly down shifts using the electronic throttle. AFAIK, the Audi S3 has the older style MANUAL gearbox with less electronic intervention. Of course, this does not apply to the DSG version of the Golf 'R'.

The Audi A3 replacement is due for release in Europe in 2nd half of 2011. I imagine that the Audi S3 version will be at least 12 months after this, possibly late 2012 for Europe and early 2013 for Australia.

The Golf 'R' does look very generic. Moreso than the GTI from the pics in AUTOCAR.

Another issue is weight. Autocar indicate that the Golf 'R' MANUAL weighs in at 1520kg, as opposed to the 1320-1340kg of the MK6 GTI. Thought that VW would shave additional weight from the Golf 'R' relative to the outgoing R32 (@ 1540-1560kg).

Cheers.
WJ

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
I can't even be bothered trying to explain how far fetched a $50K starting price for the Golf R is except to say...

I know you're just repeating what your mate has been told, but, honestly, your mate has been fed a line of the best A grade horseshit ever supplied to a car dealer.

:yikes:

If it is horseshit being served then it's being served to the dealers by VWA, because there is more than one dealer saying it.

It has to be remembered that this price will before on roads and all the other charges.

By the time you get it on the road it'll be mid 50's for a no frills 3 door manual.

Add a DSG, a couple more doors, sat nav. and a hole in the roof and you'll be in the 60's easy.

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
The Golf 'R' does look very generic. Moreso than the GTI from the pics in AUTOCAR.

I guess all Golf's/A3's do to an extent, but nothing a few mods and wheels can't fix. I think it looks pretty good though.

Another issue is weight. Autocar indicate that the Golf 'R' MANUAL weighs in at 1520kg, as opposed to the 1320-1340kg of the MK6 GTI. Thought that VW would shave additional weight from the Golf 'R' relative to the outgoing R32 (@ 1540-1560kg).

Cheers.
WJ

That's interesting, so hardly any lighter than the R32 (doubt you'd feel 20kg, but the weight distrubution would be better without the big donk up front -> less understeer). The good thing is that more power if much more accessible through tuning, so don't think it would worry me but these are still heavy little cars! Helps it feel planted and not flimsy like japanese cars though and like the solid feel. The AWD is still worth it given even with the extra weight (but only just IMO and the lighter GTI would be almost as good around town and lighter, just don't like wheelspin/axle tramp).

Last edited:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
...That's interesting, so hardly any lighter than the R32 (doubt you'd feel 20kg, but the weight distrubution would be better without the big donk up front -> less understeer)...

I think the whole weight thing of the R32 is a bit of a fallacy IMO. From memory the difference in weight between the Mk5 GTI engine and the R32 engine is minimal, and if memory serves, the R32 actually has less percentage of it weight over the front wheels compared to the GTI.

IIRC R32 is something like 52/48 (front-rear) whereas the GTI is 58/42, or thereabouts.

Sure, overall, the weight diff between the two cars is a bit more significant, but in terms of which car carries the most weight over the front axle, I think closer inspection might surprise a few.

Well, this is all based on the memory of an article I read a while back, so I could have it tits up, haha. :lol:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like the whole understeer issue is with all Golf's then, but the R32 is the only one that can control it though Haldex.

I think the weight arguement is just another swipe from the GTI owners and lightweight wheels basically make up for the difference anyway.

I'd prob get a Golf R if it's cheaper (or similar to) the R32 which it could be (for a basic one).

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Actually, I was surprised how much of the S3s grip is down to its tyres (I know, seems obvious really, haha). I've done about 4 or so Brindy runs in my S3 now and the first few were on the OEM 18s with the Michelin rubber from factory.

The most recent run was on the BBS CKs which have Kumho KU31s with 15,000kms+. There was much more understeer than I've ever experienced in the S3 before. It was still superior than the GTI, but the gap wasn't as large as it has been on previous occasions.

Might have to put the OEM 18s back on, haha. :thumbsup: