GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Control Module

altezza3363

Ready to race!
Update: just put a 2012 unit in my car yesterday. Will do the flush and re-code the car this weekend. The tubes that connect to the unit were bent abit when I was installing the unit...hopefully it wont cause any problem?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Update: just put a 2012 unit in my car yesterday. Will do the flush and re-code the car this weekend. The tubes that connect to the unit were bent abit when I was installing the unit...hopefully it wont cause any problem?

As long as it doesnt kink and cut off fluid flow should be g2g let us know how it goes

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
.....The tubes that connect to the unit were bent abit when I was installing the unit...hopefully it wont cause any problem?

They can tolerate "some" bending, as long as you didn't kink them.

But for those doing this work in the future, be real careful to not cross-thread any of the 6 fittings. The more you bend the lines when removing the old pump, the harder it is to get them lined up again when installing the new one. There's not a lot of room back there, and it can be pretty frustrating getting all the threaded lines started correctly.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
yea its leaking from there. We tried to tighten the bolt and it gets abit rounded but tube is still leaking....is there an external way to seal the leak?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Permatex makes a hydraulic fluid resistant thread locker but don't think its going to work well. Might need a new fitting or to re thread the pump hole. The sealing point is the base of the bleeder screw and not the threads so if it isn't seated perfectly and tightened enough it will leak.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
yea its leaking from there. We tried to tighten the bolt and it gets abit rounded but tube is still leaking....is there an external way to seal the leak?

No external sealing method that I know of.

The big question - Is the fitting cross threaded, or just not tight enough yet??

Try to remember back as you were tightening that fitting. Brake lines can be a pain to get started (especially if you bent the lines), but then should really turn in pretty easily until they bottom out - after which they may need to be snugged up pretty tight to prevent leaking (high hydraulic fluid pressure in there). If it was installed straight, then you may just need a little bit more torque. Try a good quality open end or flare nut wrench.

But if you cross threaded the fitting, then kept turning it in - you're in trouble. Making a new brake line (with new fitting) is a do-able job. Difficulty level is mostly dependent on where the line goes, and how hard it is to get to (both ends). You need the proper flaring tool, a hunk of brake line, and two new fittings. Any shop can do it for you, if necessary. I imagine VW also sells that line as a spare part.

But if you also screwed up the valve body threads - it may all have to be replaced.

Start by carefully looking at all the fittings. A cross-threaded one may visually appear to be "cocked" at an angle, and/or not seated to the same depth. I really hope you didn't do that!

I've installed lines that leaked a "little bit" and just needed to be tighter. Hopefully that's the case - we have our fingers crossed for you.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
The two bolts on the side are really rounded...I'm hoping those two are connected to the reservoir so it will be easier to replace...and I need to check if I fuked up the thread at the pump's seal also. Tbh lesson learned, never be inpatient when working on your car...

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I fucked myself over too when I did it, I cross threaded one of the holes in the pump but lukcily was able to retap it with the same size tap and it worked. If you need new lines you can find used ones on ebay for a decent prize.

Craigggx

So I have an 09 gti, and I have a Christmas tree in my dashboard. I got quoted by the dealership for $2100 for parts and labor. Don't really want to pay that much. I mean the car runs fine besides the annoying beeping that goes on. I've been doing some research on the whole abs pump /module assembly. It seems fairly easy to replace. The coding on the other hand , that's something I would have trouble with. I have a buddy that has vagcom so I'll probably get him to help. But back to my original question, a mkvi abs pump assy would definitely work on the mkv? As long as all the coding is done correctly?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
So I have an 09 gti, and I have a Christmas tree in my dashboard. I got quoted by the dealership for $2100 for parts and labor. Don't really want to pay that much. I mean the car runs fine besides the annoying beeping that goes on. I've been doing some research on the whole abs pump /module assembly. It seems fairly easy to replace. The coding on the other hand , that's something I would have trouble with. I have a buddy that has vagcom so I'll probably get him to help. But back to my original question, a mkvi abs pump assy would definitely work on the mkv? As long as all the coding is done correctly?

Yep, check out the big ABS module topic theres a lot of information in there.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
So after months of trying to fix the ABS module. New problems pop. The abs module was replace, but for some reason the rear brake won't bleed? It feels like the plug wasn't released when bleeding? Also, I tried to reset the the "longitudinal acceleration sensor" but it has error and wouldn't let me adapt the setting. Any idea?