GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tuned GTI needs new sparks

604GTI

#yoloSWAG
When you increase the boost, it creates more heat in the combustion chamber. Different heat range plugs help to regulate the cylinder temps to help fight pre-ignition. There's many people on here that bitch about timing pull, so trying different plugs may help with their issue.. maybe next time do a little research before making smartass comments. :paddle:

:word:Exactly what I wanted to say but i'm at work and shouldnt be on golfmkv:biggrin:

carbuyer

Ready to race!
excuse my ignorance on this topic, but what will be the result of going one step colder than stock?

you mentioned you had in mind my location and mods, i would like to understand how it all comes together.

thanks!

you are in a hotter climate i assume since you live in cali.
stage 2 etc means you are increasing the boost/fueling so the engine makes more power.

both things mean that the engine itself will get hotter, and a colder plug will be better at pulling heat from the heads.

going too cold, or going cold when you dont need it would increase your chances of fouling plugs, since the deposits on the plugs would not get hot enough to burn off.

Chris@RT

Banned
When you increase the boost, it creates more heat in the combustion chamber. Different heat range plugs help to regulate the cylinder temps to help fight pre-ignition. There's many people on here that bitch about timing pull, so trying different plugs may help with their issue.. maybe next time do a little research before making smartass comments. :paddle:

I've run 30+psi on my GT35R setup on stock plugs.

A stock turbo 2.0t doesn't need cooler plugs.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
I don't doubt your results, but are you saying that there is never going to be a time where these motors could use a colder plug? From everything that I've read about colder plugs, it all seems to point to reducing cylinder temps to help prevent pre-igniting the fuel / reducing misfires.. With all the people with mkv's that have misfire / timing pull issues, I just don't see why cooling temps in the cylinder wouldn't help the cause? I know you're much more qualified to speak about this stuff than I am, but what is different with our motors vs other motors that people get great results by swapping the plugs with colder ones?

Chris@RT

Banned
Well first off you need to do a bit more reading then since you seem to be misunderstanding what colder plugs do.

Colder plugs don't reduce cylinder temps they simply reduce the amount of heat stored in the plug itself. Plugs need heat to work and going too cold can reduce performance and efficiency which is why not everything comes with some super cold plugs.

Colder plugs pull more heat out of the plug itself and by doing so reduce the chance of the warm plug igniting the fuel on its own before the spark plug is fired.

A hot spark plug will cause pre-ignition which has nothing to do with timing at all, this is when like i just said something ignites the fuel before the plug is even fired. Cars with timing pull are simply running too aggressive timing which has nothing to do with the former. Not all detonation is pre-ignition. Not all timing pull is even detonation.

The reason people say run colder plugs when upping boost, running nitrous etc etc is because with the higher cylinder pressure comes more heat and a hotter plug can have a harder time doing its job so to prevent pre ignition you need to run the colder plug. No one is having issues with pre-ignition on stage 1 or stage 2 on stock plugs. You don't need colder plugs to prevent something that isn't happening.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
To everyone who thought I was directing my comments to them, I was not directing my comments to anyone in particular. It was a general statement.

Even Arin said it wasn't necessary. I think people having problems have other issues, not spark plug issues. Weak coils, not enough fuel, poor fuel, carbon buildup, lean mixture, they all can contribute to misfiring. Why blame the heat range of the plugs, because it's easy?

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
Chris, thanks for the info! I guess its not as cut and dry as some of the sites online make it sound. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong when a good answer is posted

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Well first off you need to do a bit more reading then since you seem to be misunderstanding what colder plugs do.

Colder plugs don't reduce cylinder temps they simply reduce the amount of heat stored in the plug itself. Plugs need heat to work and going too cold can reduce performance and efficiency which is why not everything comes with some super cold plugs.

Colder plugs pull more heat out of the plug itself and by doing so reduce the chance of the warm plug igniting the fuel on its own before the spark plug is fired.

A hot spark plug will cause pre-ignition which has nothing to do with timing at all, this is when like i just said something ignites the fuel before the plug is even fired. Cars with timing pull are simply running too aggressive timing which has nothing to do with the former. Not all detonation is pre-ignition. Not all timing pull is even detonation.

The reason people say run colder plugs when upping boost, running nitrous etc etc is because with the higher cylinder pressure comes more heat and a hotter plug can have a harder time doing its job so to prevent pre ignition you need to run the colder plug. No one is having issues with pre-ignition on stage 1 or stage 2 on stock plugs. You don't need colder plugs to prevent something that isn't happening.

So Chris, if I'm stage 2+, there's no need for aftermarket ones?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
What happened to Revo recommending one step colder plugs for their 2.0t tunes?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I personally don't like copper, because the gap opens up too fast. On my Mazda they were shot at 30,000 miles. Gap opened up to .045 from .028, and I had carbon tracking.

Chris@RT

Banned
I personally love copper plugs especially in high boost high hp applications because its a 2.00 weak link that will burn up well before a valve or piston does.

Its basically a fuse for your combustion chamber :)

carbuyer

Ready to race!