GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Springs on Stock shocks, Good Idea???

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I've read alot of good info on this site about balancing performance and looks when it comes to suspension. However no one has a clear ansewer as to whether or not, just putting springs on the stock MkV shocks is a good idea. And if it's ok, which ones are the best suited for the job? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best Option - Coilover's (good looks, good performance,adjustable, but expensive)

2nd Best - Spring and Shock Kit (cheaper, no adjustablity, increase performance/looks, but still pricey)

Worst - Springs w/ stock shocks (all looks, performance decrease, will shorten life span of shocks)

let me know if I got this right?:iono:

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
If you go with a subtle drop, you'll be okay with the stock shocks, i.e. Eibach Pro-kits.

Our stock shocks are already designed to handle the Euro-spec -0.6" drop; I don't think another -0.7" drop will do any harm to them. It will look nice, it will increase your performance, and it's the lease expensive option.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
If you go with a subtle drop, you'll be okay with the stock shocks, i.e. Eibach Pro-kits.

Our stock shocks are already designed to handle the Euro-spec -0.6" drop; I don't think another -0.7" drop will do any harm to the stock shocks. It will look nice, it will increase your performance, and it's the lease expensive route.

so your saying a total of -1.3'' is safe for the stock shocks? Eibach is a trusted name. If i can get the look and performance going this route, why would people invest in such expensive suspension packages? Must really do wonders on the handeling for that amount of money.

The pro-kit gives a 1.2" drop front and back. Also, from my brother, he's been working on street racing cars for over 7 years now, tells me this:

Best Option - Spring and Shock Kit (expensive, no adjustablity normally, increase performance/looks)

2nd Best - Springs on Stock shocks (Best if not too low, great performance, clean look, but shortens shock's life a little)

3rd - Coilover's (good looks, okay performance,adjustable, but rough ride)

Worst - Cut stock springs (worst for ride, and okay all around, but cheapest, basically free)

onthevirg

Oval Champion
Accel said:
Eibach is using my car as a test mule next week, I'm quite excited, I'll keep ya guys up on what happens.

Nice! I live in the same area, any way you can talk them into needing another test bed? LOL :bow:

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
After I get my TSW 19"s, I'm gonna see if picking up some Eibachs are needed. I don't want hte car too low, I live in New England. Low car=ouch

koreaniverson

Autocross Champion
im thinking of going with H&R sport kit: 1.5 front and 1.4 rear with stock shocks... if you want more drop go with H&R race kit: 2.0 front and 1.75 rear, but highly recommend that you get new shocks...

i rode on eibach for last 7 years on my 1999 honda civic with stock shocks... it wasnt all that smooth for last couple of years or so... now the honda is gone and got my v-dub this week...

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
get the prokit and then when your stock shocks go in like 50 billion years get performance shocks... its f*ckin simple

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
edit:found the eurospec springs.

those springs are expensive! Its not much of a drop though. Does anyone have the H&R Sport springs? Its a 1.5in drop instead of the 1.2in drop from Eibach

Last edited:

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
i got the neuspeed springs, should have them here shortly hoping today but i doubt it, they shipped tuesday from california ground to VA. i'll get some pics and post them when i get the springs installed and let you know how they ride.

TheGr8Scuda

Go Kart Newbie
TeknoGroover said:
The pro-kit gives a 1.2" drop front and back. Also, from my brother, he's been working on street racing cars for over 7 years now, tells me this:

2nd Best - Springs on Stock shocks (Best if not too low, great performance, clean look, but shortens shock's life a little)

I'm thinking about going this route but how little and how short are we talking about here when you say this "shortening the shocks life a little"?:confused:

coolme187

Touring Car Champion
im planning on getting the H&R Sport springs w/ stock shocks. They should last me enough until i get some koni's

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I have the H&R/Konis coming in next week.

IMO its better to do it all at once... We are talking an extra $500 on our $25,000 cars. The install is a pita... why do it twice? :iono: