GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Im thinking of getting an R32

AHB900

Hey guys, i just got to drive my cousins r32 DSG and i think i have decided im in love with it :) haha. I just started looking around in these forums on some r32 information im coming from a a4 1.8T so im not very familiar with the vr6 engine. I would assume its somewhat similar to the 2.8 engine on the a4, so i guess Chipping it is no help. What kind of mods are worth getting on this car? How much power can i expect without going Forced INduction? Also is the dsg in the r32 more responsive then the GTi or was it just me? One more question from what i remember how does the R32 compare to a chipped GTI in 0-60 times and on 60-120mph times? I will be searching on these boards so i will probably be back with more questions. Thanks Guys

Blitzen

Professional .....
Most engine mods (chip, intake, exhaust) are for noise and throttle response. With all these added expext 15hp more.
(Check on europeancarmag for "R32" and "proven").
If you want more ... Expensive as if you add cams you need to flash the transmission so that you can make use of the higher rpm.
A chipped GTI would be quicker (see same mag) in the straight line. But in an R32 you have the better package.

AHB900

yeh i read around and learned that i now have a new question. What is the stock piping size (exhaust) and what causes that rasp is it the engine, muffler, or resonator?

Blitzen

Professional .....
As far as the exhaust goes .... think to remember that it was 2.5" or something close (metric figure).
The rasp seems to be a mixture of variable intake and exhaust (flapper). People with aftermarker exhaust systems still report a raspy sound (but most say it is less than before).

AHB900

I havent noticed many after market exhausts with the rasp thats why i was wondering. When i get a R32 i plan on doing a custom exhaust i just feel its the smarted and cheapest way to go i was thinking of just changing the stock muffler and stock res with magnaflows and completing the rest of the piping later on when i feel its not to loud. The reason for this is because ive noticed everybody who does exhaust says its really loud even with a muffler and a resonator so i would think i would like to try it out with stock pipping before getting larger piping..

Mr. Perkins

Suck it Trebek
Actually many people have reported the rasp increased with aftermarket exhaust. The only way to really get rid of it completely is with an aftermarket intake manifold like HPA that doesn't have the variable intake valve.

AHB900

hmm i used to read around in the m3 forums they have this thing called rasp X its like a resonator or something i take it there is nothing like that for the R32?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
^ oh really? i thought they would be SIMILAR not really the same

well, they're similar in the sense that they're both 6 cylinder engines, but the similarities end there.

Audi wants people to think that they're the same, but they aren't. Sales managers at Audi dealerships won't even acknowledge the VR6 moniker, it's pretty stupid.

cliff's notes:
in the golf platform: VR6 is used
Old Passat/Audi A4: V6 is used
New Passat: VR6 again, as it's a modified golf platform now

AHB900

oh wow thats interesting... i am still hoping to get an answer to my other question. Is the r32 DSG quicker or more responsive then the gti DSG? I ask this because i drove my cousins Stage 3 GTI and i drove my other cousins R32 and the GTI seemed like it reacted slower to when i clicked the paddle and when it shifted then then the r32... The r32 felt more solid and more responsive was i just imagining things or is there some truth behind this...

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i raced a stock R32 w/ stage 1 software, intake and catback. i took him by maybe a length from 70-110.

a gti will go faster for cheaper.

but you don't buy an r32 to save money, it is a beautiful car worthy of keeping it's badges, comes with big brakes and goes well in the winter (or so the snow drifting videos on you-tube make it seem).

if you search there are threads discussing development of manifolds, headers, and other parts to increase horsepower. common mods seem to be exhaust and short ram/cold air intakes. i've also heard you can get chipped, and it gives ~10 hp (not sure if wheel or crank) and increases throttle response a bit. it will cost you a pretty penny though.

hope i could help!

AHB900

After driving both cars honestly the R32 just feels alot more fun to drive even though the Gti i drove is stage 3 turboed it might have put a huge smile on my face and held me to the seat from 1st - 3rd gear i still for some reason enjoyed driving the R32 much more it just felt so much more solid and the awd felt great... I grew tired of FWD after driving my a4 for 3 years when it rains dear god its hell i cant get up freeway ramps in the rain with my a4 lol

Redcloud

Ready to race!
oh wow thats interesting... i am still hoping to get an answer to my other question. Is the r32 DSG quicker or more responsive then the gti DSG? I ask this because i drove my cousins Stage 3 GTI and i drove my other cousins R32 and the GTI seemed like it reacted slower to when i clicked the paddle and when it shifted then then the r32... The r32 felt more solid and more responsive was i just imagining things or is there some truth behind this...

I had both cars 06 GTI and now an R32 both with DSG and both completely stock and IMHO I have thought during normal daily driving the GTI DSG went through the gears much quicker. With that said the R32 is less peaky and had a smoother power delivery when driven hard. The R32 handles better in the turns and has little to no wheel spin when floored. The R32 is just a more refined car with a more unique personality from my personal experience. You will not be disappointed in either car, it's a win/win :thumbup:

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
After driving both cars honestly the R32 just feels alot more fun to drive even though the Gti i drove is stage 3 turboed it might have put a huge smile on my face and held me to the seat from 1st - 3rd gear i still for some reason enjoyed driving the R32 much more it just felt so much more solid and the awd felt great... I grew tired of FWD after driving my a4 for 3 years when it rains dear god its hell i cant get up freeway ramps in the rain with my a4 lol

i had the same problem, but goodyear eagle f1's made it worlds bettere.