GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS 510 - Premium Bluetooth

Gordon

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anybody installed the Premium Bluetooth with the RNS 510 head unit yet?

If so was it done at dealer or factory?

Cheers

Gordon

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd be interested to know the difference between the Premium and the Dealer Fit Parrot BlueTooth.

My understanding is the premium Bluetooth is intended to utilise the phone functionality of the RNS 510 i.e. touch screen dialling etc... Which the parrot cannot!.

danceboi_syd

Hey there.
Newbie here...do you want the good or bad news?

We were among the first to have the handfree installed last week in our 2008MY R32 with RNS-510. When I got it home and tried it out I thought they had made a huge mistake and it wasn't the premium model. After checking with the dealer, this apparently is the Premium model that VW Australia is trying to sell as the Premium kit for RNS-510.

The kit has absolutely no interface to the RNS-510 screen and effectively only mutes the audio when the call comes through. Other than that you can answer calls on the steering wheel. To see who is calling you have to look at your phone! Practically none of the features are available as mentioned in the RNS-510 manual dealing with the Premium handsfree kit.

Apparently there have already been complaints from owners and if you are getting one I suggest you show the RNS-510 manual to your dealer and raise the issue with them when the disappointment sets in.
For my money not good enough for a large manufacturer like VW.
Brett

FattyBoomba

Live life in the R Lane!
Car(s)
Golf R32 Mark V
Do what I did, and order the Premium Bluetooth Car Kit from Europe. Cost me $325 Pounds delivered.. about $900.

I got it installed professionally and with full warranty from BarloWorld VW - Mascot for a further $225.

Works perfectly.. every single feature as advertisied including full touch screen interface functionality for the phone and contacts list RIGHT on the RNS-510 display... cool! :)

Very Happy with it..

But i did have to order it from overseas.. took two weeks to get here.

Cheers

Nick

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the premium bluetooth installed when I retro fitted the RNS-510. Works great. I had it done aftermarket.

Your phone book, missed calls and last calls "download" to the head unit and you can use the touch screen as you would your phone menu items and keypad.

Jason.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
You have been sold a pup there.
VW have had Nokia produce the kit you feel dudded by at round $600'ish.
It was never marketed or sold as the Premium system which is yet to be released - later this month which enjoys full RNS510 touch screen interfacing and is around $1200 fitted.
Call Grant at Lennock VW Canberra for detail.

Dingah

b00f12

Passed Driver's Ed
It was never marketed or sold as the Premium system which is yet to be released - later this month which enjoys full RNS510 touch screen interfacing and is around $1200 fitted.

Dingah

Interesting.....

Never marketed in Australia or worldwide? I was told it was imported from Germany.

At the end of the day the brand isn't important to me, more the functionality.

Jason.

Booba

Ready to race!
Probably be the kit from vrstu @ double the price.

Interesting.....

Never marketed in Australia or worldwide? I was told it was imported from Germany.

At the end of the day the brand isn't important to me, more the functionality.

Jason.

Mark4323

GTI Blue Graphite | DSG |
Do what I did, and order the Premium Bluetooth Car Kit from Europe. Cost me $325 Pounds delivered.. about $900.

I got it installed professionally and with full warranty from BarloWorld VW - Mascot for a further $225.

Works perfectly.. every single feature as advertisied including full touch screen interface functionality for the phone and contacts list RIGHT on the RNS-510 display... cool! :)

Very Happy with it..

But i did have to order it from overseas.. took two weeks to get here.

Cheers

Nick

I just did the same. Ordered from vrStu and had it fitted at McCarrolls Hornsby last Friday. They haven't configured it properly (MFD isn't working). Other than that it is excellent - sound quality is great. Only annoyance is that the phone button on the steering wheel doesn't work (Skoda unit).

McCarrolls didn't mention that the Premium Bluetooth is about to be made available in Aus.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Everyone should buy the proper OEM skoda kit from VRS Stu, can't beat it. The dealer is charging double for inferior parrots and crap...

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
The standard Mk V GTI kit is not Parrot but Nokia, provides excellent sound, no echoes is fully hidden from view and comes as a VW factory kit with manual warranty et al. The point is its simplicity in that it does everything required and is utterly transparent to the user with no distractions.
For those that want to fiddle around on the touch screen of the RNS 510 or who cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone they may choose to wait for the AUstralian produced (coming forever) VW Premium Bluetooth.

Dingah

Booba

Ready to race!
I dont fiddle with the rns because i just haven't been bothered to actually get hold of one yet but as far as the "cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone" well I talk to people pretty much all day its business makes me money :)

The standard Mk V GTI kit is not Parrot but Nokia, provides excellent sound, no echoes is fully hidden from view and comes as a VW factory kit with manual warranty et al. The point is its simplicity in that it does everything required and is utterly transparent to the user with no distractions.
For those that want to fiddle around on the touch screen of the RNS 510 or who cannot bear a passing moment without phoning someone they may choose to wait for the AUstralian produced (coming forever) VW Premium Bluetooth.

Dingah

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
I had it installed when I had my RNS-510 retro-fitted. A great system, well worth the money. The HP boys up there should be able to source/install it for you. There are probably others, but they sourced mine and had it sent down to Sydney.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion

Dingah

As long as people know what they are getting installed, and dont come back disappointed if it doesn't fully integrate with RNS or MFD. Wasn't saying the nokia kits are bad, just not as perfect a setup as the premium. Can you dial a contact from the MFD on the nokia, or have to use the phone? Still better than an aftermarket parrot i'd say.

The main thing IMO is if you can take the call easily without fiddling around and call recent numbers.