Which would you choose?

• Used BMW 330i

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • New 5-Door VW GTI

Votes: 30 73.2%

• Total voters

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
This may be a decision some of you thought about. I'm trying to decide between a used BMW 330i or a new 5-door Volkswagen GTI. Which car would you rather own? A brand new VW GTI with DSG? Or would you rather own a used BMW 330i?

The BMW will have to be several years old in order to match the price of the GTI. The GTI would have a new car warranty and no used car problems. The GTI also comes with the spectacular DSG transmission versus the regular automatic for the BMW. The BMW is a BMW and is built with BMW quality rather than hit-or-miss VW quality. The BMW may be more reliable in the long run but it will also cost a lot more to repair. The BMW will probably have 25-45k miles on it already versus 0 miles for the GTI. GTI is FWD which is a plus during the winter but a nuisance most other times.

I really want a BMW but until I can afford a brand new one the GTI may be a good trade off. Your thoughts?

bonzgti

Cause you don't know
looks like you answered your own question..

GeeTEye

Go Kart Newbie
I had the same question as well. BMW has that warranty that they cover everything except for tires. But with 45K miles you dont have that much left. That Bimmer is going to be hella expensive to fix if and when it does breakdown. I dont know what your $$$ situation is but I dont want to be spending $800 on a brake job. Thats the main reason I chose the MKV.....Value. Get an MKV with the 100K warranty and have no worries for a loooooong time :biggrin: And if you like the idea of a sedan, look into the Jetta GLI, its more in the category of a german sedan than a 4 door hatchback.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
thats weird, in my country a 4 or 5 year old M3 matches the price of a new GTI. if it was me i wouldnt need to think twice about choosing the M3. i dont care if its a few years old. fact is its an M3 and its just amazing.

but if i was choosing between a 330 and a GTI, and they were the same price, hmmm tough choice. i think u should follow your heart. even if its 2nd hand its still the one u prefer.

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
Find another car in which you can write more about and afford in comparison than the GTI in your poll. It seems as if the BMW 330i is just a selection in there and that it won't please your heart if you did choose it. Though between these two.. I think a GTI would please you more since you named numerous positive things about it.

I didn't read your statement first..so.. I voted for the 330i because I thought you meant the upcoming one.. which I am mistaken for the 335i because that comes with a twin-turbo 300hp engine :thumbsup:

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
I wouldn't exactly call it a fair comparison. I love my GTI, but my M3 is 1000x better. While an M3 isn't a 330i, the 3-series is still the benchmark in its class (which the GTI is not a member of btw) in addition I much prefer the look of the older 3s compared to the new ones, blech. Flame on

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
I wouldn't exactly call it a fair comparison. I love my GTI, but my M3 is 1000x better. While an M3 isn't a 330i, the 3-series is still the benchmark in its class (which the GTI is not a member of btw) in addition I much prefer the look of the older 3s compared to the new ones, blech. Flame on

I do too personally. The ones now I think are a mistake in design. However the 2007s have gotten a tad sleekier and are a slight improvement over the 06s. :thumbsup:

newtogolf

6 years ago i was so excited about the E46 M3. it just seemed a massive improvement over the previous model. and that 3 series generation was really good for its time. and then there was the CSL...

the only thing exciting me about the 2007 M3 is the over 400hp V8. im not sure if the look of the thing will be as nice as the E46 shape. and the current 3 series generation isnt very impressive.

newtogolf

your so lucky u own an M3.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
I don't think it's a very odd comparison. The MkV would be a good entry level German automobile that is affordable enough to purchase new. The 3 series is in a different price tier true, but a used one would be comparable to the GTI. The GTI has similar if not better performance and while it may not have the luxury appointments of the BMW the interior is decidedly much higher class than anything else in it's price range.

I have considered other cars than just these two but if I'm going to buy a used car I won't settle for anything but the BMW. I'm just trying to decide if the 0 miles and new car warranty are worth giving up the quality of the BMW. Do the pros outweigh the cons?