GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lean at idle = limp mode? (scans and logs)

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I saw that. Been through the thread multiple times now.
It suprises me that no one getting theirs fixed. There is a few things people are forgettig/ignoring
That are prone to failure. I just talked to humble mechanic showing him my numbers and he actually suggests lpfp control module. They are failing often he said. They click on and off just like the n80 which also fails often.

So im kinda pumped to inspect mine soon.

But i have to rule out leaks first

Please if you can get in touch with the Mods on the forum and have them change the title of your post because it is misleading, you do not have a lean at idle but lean off idle issue and that makes a difference in what to check to hopefully resolve issue.

You have Vcds so do a log of your Lpfp and hpfp at idle and during a pull.

tedted

DIY your own tester like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTAwO-2-6k
I did the same except used a really small aquarium pump. also you only need one line going inside the can to 'push' the smoke out; wrap that hose in foil to protect from heat.

-OR- with vcds plugged in and watching [block 003], spray brake/ carb cleaner around those same brake booster lines mentioned above, around your maf sensor, around your valve cover gasket, around your whole pcv system, around the intake to turbo and ANY PLUMBING coming off the turbo and going to the throttle body.
If you can hear the rpms rev and/or you see in vcds the rpms spike then start looking in that area.

Ive read and seen a few people say that @ idle we should be seeing above 3g/s and over 250g/s at wot with a k04. I always bounce between 2.5-3g/s @idle and MAX 220g/s at wot.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
I actually have a leak around the timing cover gasket, it also leak through one of the screws on the cover.

I logged my maf wot in 4th gear. Log in start of thread.

It maxed out at 120.
Having stage 1 apr
Ram air and k03.

Dont know if thats good..

Fuel rail pressure also.
Think it was a little above 100.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Gti's: i was thinking of trying logging more concrete fuel logs.

I was reflecting a bit over the last two years and cant recall having any fuel codes.
But i have a foggy memory of a O2 code. But it never came back after cleared it.

If it would just be a o2 or maf and thats it.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks for this video! ive been trying to get people to figure that nipple movement FOOREVER!. Mine moved like that when the car is off and when I pump air through the intake manifold, that spot where it moves, is the only location I can get smoke to seep out of when doing a smoke test.

Good. I actually tried moving it when engine running and it DOES makes a difference in noise. Just like a vacuum leak and a low rattle sound. I filmed it. But the low is really low but i could clearly hear it

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
At idle the check valve if working correctly will allow vacuum to be pulled from the intake manifold that's how it works, under boost the check valve if working closes to prevents boost from manifold going past check valve to brake booster hose and brake booster. What you have done there is let unmetered air in at idle, not off idle which is the code you have. Want to test it out look at you trims when doing that.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
At idle the check valve if working correctly will allow vacuum to be pulled from the intake manifold that's how it works, under boost the check valve if working closes to prevents boost from manifold going past check valve to brake booster hose and brake booster. What you have done there is let unmetered air in at idle, not off idle which is the code you have. Want to test it out look at you trims when doing that.

Sure i will try. Whioch block and numbers am i looking for? My car goes into limp off idle and correction up to 23% wow.

Maybe i should look at the check valve on be booster? Or would that cause anything more if it was broken? I dont think my brakes are acting funny but i sometimes got a code for the brake pedal switch.

I think my idle was like -2-3% something. So i guess im fine there.

So if the valve is broken "off idle" that would allow boost to go through that would not cause a lean code no?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Its easy to check the valve , just undo hose from manifold side for check valve and the hose at the vacuum pump if you can blow air through it from manifold side check valve is no good. For trims you want engine 01->mvb 032 & 033.

tedted

while the car is at idle, that nipple does NOT move for me. The vacuum holds the hose against it pretty good.

I also checked my fuel pump module and it looks fine and doesnt feel hot after driving it so i am guessing mine is fine.

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Was googling a bit and realised my maf readings are low.

130g/s at 4500rpm wot.

Expected readings on k03 seem to be around 200.

I will do another test after resetting trims and see if i still get low readings.

Also i have plans on replacing the fuel filter and see aswell. Been well over 20k M silnce i replaced it. Doing the simple first..

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Still have the problem.

I having fuel filter rwplaced and all intake hoses from maf to throttlebody inspected by mechanic
At 15th march. Hoping for some results.

I also thinking of ordering a new maf.

Just look at the expected readings here https://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php

Stage 1 expected maf readings will be 1160kgh. Mine reads 120 gs.
I converted 1160kgh to gs which is around 320gs.

My maf readings are barely half of whats expected.
And if my readings are correct i can pretty much assume that my maf is shot?

Apr also states that a stock gti should read around 250gs.
If this is correct, i should go get that new maf already.

Any inputs on this?

tedted

you should only be seeing 250+ g/s if you are k04 i think?!
almost everyone on here with a good working k04 setup sees more than that.....
my k04 only hits 220g/s

fungist

Passed Driver's Ed
Im stock turbo man k03. 120gs readings. Im pretty sure apr's chart for "stock gti" are with the k03.
Anyways this really seem to be a maf issue for me. I cant wait anymore now, just gonna burn off some bucks on a new maf and cross my fingers.