GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > R32 Forum - General Discussions

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

Drives: 2008 VW R32
Question 2008 R32 - intermittent squeaking noise from the rear

Hi everyone,

I've been driving my 08 R32 for over two years now and for more than a year, every morning I hear this squeaking-quacking-pumping noise from the rear. It happens with 90% regularity when the engine is still cold and I just started driving it, i.e. two times a day - when going to work, and then coming back home.

The noise comes on for about 15-20 seconds and resembles the sound of a cat trying to throw up a hairball, only at a faster rate - about two "quacks" per second or so. It then stops, and sometimes comes on again in 10-15 seconds, and sometimes doesn't. Some of the mornings I don't hear it - after all, I do have a significant hearing loss, and may just miss it. I do hear it with a 90% regularity twice a day though.

The dealership (Pacific VW in Hawthorne CA) did observe the noise once but said they couldn't do anything after hearing it just once.

Has anyone heard of this type of noise and what it might indicate? It comes from the rear and appears to be a pumping noise. Naturally, I am concerned this may indicate something serious.

Thanks!

Alex.
alex-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
PyroBob
I'm in.

Drives: the ladies wild.
Sounds like your hearing the pump...there's quite a few threads about it. It's an air pump that's part of your emissions system. It's pretty loud if you lower the seats, too.

See if it's coming from behind the panel on the passenger side of the boot.

I'm really surprised your dealer didn't tell you that...

PyroBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

2008 R32 - intermittent squeaking noise from the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroBob View Post
See if it's coming from behind the panel on the passenger side of the boot.
Thanks! The "boot" - you mean, the trunk of the car?

The problem is that the noise is gone by the time I stop and run to the back. It rarely lasts longer than 15 seconds.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroBob View Post
Sounds like your hearing the pump...there's quite a few threads about it. It's an air pump that's part of your emissions system.
Did a search for an air pump, went as far down as 2008, found nothing.

Could you please point me to a couple of threads about it?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
ywang98
Touring Car Champion

Drives: R32-4230
The Aux Air Pump is at the front of the car within the engine compartment. If you hear something from the rear of the car, then this isn't the air pump.
ywang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywang98 View Post
The Aux Air Pump is at the front of the car within the engine compartment. If you hear something from the rear of the car, then this isn't the air pump.
Thanks, that helps.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
skaruda_23
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2008 VW Rabbit 2dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-g View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been driving my 08 R32 for over two years now and for more than a year, every morning I hear this squeaking-quacking-pumping noise from the rear. It happens with 90% regularity when the engine is still cold and I just started driving it, i.e. two times a day - when going to work, and then coming back home.

The noise comes on for about 15-20 seconds and resembles the sound of a cat trying to throw up a hairball, only at a faster rate - about two "quacks" per second or so. It then stops, and sometimes comes on again in 10-15 seconds, and sometimes doesn't. Some of the mornings I don't hear it - after all, I do have a significant hearing loss, and may just miss it. I do hear it with a 90% regularity twice a day though.

The dealership (Pacific VW in Hawthorne CA) did observe the noise once but said they couldn't do anything after hearing it just once.

Has anyone heard of this type of noise and what it might indicate? It comes from the rear and appears to be a pumping noise. Naturally, I am concerned this may indicate something serious.

Thanks!

Alex.
Alex,

Does your noise sound like the one in this video, your description sounds similar? My 08 Rabbit has made it intermittently... Not sure what it is at all. Dealer can't replicate it, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKqt...el_video_title
skaruda_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaruda_23 View Post
Alex,

Does your noise sound like the one in this video, your description sounds similar? My 08 Rabbit has made it intermittently... Not sure what it is at all. Dealer can't replicate it, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKqt...el_video_title
It doesn't sound quite like it so I am not sure. I am hard of hearing and am not in the best position to match sounds. The pumping frequency of it is very similar to that of the sound my car makes.

The dealership eventually replicated it but said "it happens on all GTIs and R32s" and it's no problem. Yet when I ask any R32 owner or tech about it, they shake their heads with that utter disbelief look, "they told you WHAT?".
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

The location (rear passenger side wheel well) is the same as in my case.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
xola3que
euroturd

Drives: 2008 Golf
are you sure it doesn't sound like the exhaust system expanding w/ the heat and produce those clack-clitty-clack noise?
xola3que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
alex-g
2008 R32 blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xola3que View Post
are you sure it doesn't sound like the exhaust system expanding w/ the heat and produce those clack-clitty-clack noise?
Not unless it can produce a mechanical pumping noise with very regular intervals from the general direction of the passenger side rear wheel well, rather than where the exhaust is.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
Fackvw

Drives: R32
I also have this issue. What I think it might be is the haldex pump. For me it's only first thing when I start it for the day at my first stop. It's like a bed squeaking during sex kinda sound coming from under the spare tire area in the trunk.

Anybody know what this is?
Fackvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 AM   #13
kenedy
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: Geeta
I have no information about that.I am sorry bro.