GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some pretty epic builds going on!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I don't have any crazy build here, just a comfy daily. Just replaced the hatch struts today because they were all rusted out and failing. Will probably repainted the fenders and taillight wells before winter to prevent some rust. Maybe paint a set of my Omanyts black for my winter wheels.

Similar car to jay's - k04ed with almost no exterior modifications. Lots of money into suspension, tires and brakes. Not so many track rat days tho lol. Up next are some new bushings and some R888Rs or RS4s to replace the RS3s. Haven't decided yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love your build btw. Very similar indeed. I just ordered all new powerflex black bushings to complete the whole rear end. I'm going with RS4's next year. Ran the RS3's this season at the track and loved them, they have amazingly long wear too. I'm hoping the RS4's match them. I can only see them improving.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
^ I can vouch for that. Freaking beast of a car Jay!

Edit: golfmk6 must be doing worse than us if your posting in here!

heh naw I still post there too. There's more people serious about building their cars here though. I'm a mod on all three golfmk5, golfmk6, and golfmk7 and I can say the people who still have mk5s are the enthusiasts. mk6 has a bunch of in between, and mk7 forums are a complete noob shit show.

emanyankee

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 Gti
Here's my "build" I'm about done modding since next step is turbo upgrade or roll bar and interior funsies

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I love your build btw. Very similar indeed. I just ordered all new powerflex black bushings to complete the whole rear end. I'm going with RS4's next year. Ran the RS3's this season at the track and loved them, they have amazingly long wear too. I'm hoping the RS4's match them. I can only see them improving.

I think I'm going with superpro myself since I have some of their stuff already and I like what I've got so far.

My single issue with the rs3 is that I loved them because they were dirt cheap and now I'll have to pay up for any new rubber.

For the r32 I forgot that I'm eying autotechnik brake carriers to move the TTRS calipers inward and allow me to run the OEM sized rotor - cheaper for the daily / won't have to run spacers anymore. Might do it on the gti also and buy some fancy 2 piece rotors. TTRS rotors used to be half the price they are now so the next time I do brakes I'm going to figure something out. Not paying $600 for these again but at $300 it was a good deal.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Forums are definitely the better source of information. Nothing else has such a large database of info that you can actually search and find old threads in. Finding anything more than a couple days old on Facebook is basically impossible.

And as far as the builds go, it's always the people that stick to their cars despite newer ones being on the market that have the serious builds. You either keep buying the new thing and never do anything extreme (unless you're just loaded) or you spend years building something extreme out of your older car. Myself, I'd rather put money into something I own instead of making car payments my whole life.

The new Mk7's are such a massive step up from the Mk5 chassis but even if I was willing to go into debt I'd only end up doing everything I've already done to my Mk5. I've gotten to used to the harsh ride, heavy clutch, uncomfortable seat, and all the other things that a stock car just feels like a pile of mush

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Well, my build has been done for years now...and it's a simple K04 build with nothing done on the outside to suggest it's anything more. But it ended up being what I want. The MK5 may turn in to be a build project when I eventually get a MK7 Golf R to be my daily...so I appreciate you all posting your build progress for inspiration and ideas.

Not a big build but my dog loves rides...LOL

aHappyPug

I'm pretty new here and I lurk the forums for insight and DIY's. I have a MK5 that went through a motor build for the last 3-4 months. Please excuse the Instagram photos lol. Haven't got any real pictures done.

Started with a APR Stage 3+ Kit, LSD and stock internals :eyebulge: The car was quick. But I wanted reliability, more power and a better tune. Right now the car has GTX2867R, but I've been thinking of going EFR turbo.
[

As she sits now. Wanting to paint the lowers sometime this winter.

aHappyPug

While driving the car there was always a piece of my mind thinking the motor will blow up if I push it any harder. Plus I was only running mild tune from APR, but it was pushing the limits of the bottom end. So one day I was like. I've spent X amount of money, I should do it right and build it. And I couldn't be happier. New life to my 10 year old GTI :lol:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
While driving the car there was always a piece of my mind thinking the motor will blow up if I push it any harder. Plus I was only running mild tune from APR, but it was pushing the limits of the bottom end. So one day I was like. I've spent X amount of money, I should do it right and build it. And I couldn't be happier. New life to my 10 year old GTI :lol:

I like the way you think! I've been saving and saving to get to my projected budget for a BT+motor build, but part of that is going into rebuilding my R32 motor so it'll be a bulletproof daily. Timing chains, guides, water pump, theromstat, valve cover reseal, front main seal, basically everything reachable while the car is in service position.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Nicely done work there. I too thought APR originally dialed back the power for their stage 3 when they first put it together in order to safe-guard the internals, or rather to eliminate the need for internal upgrading. But I get it, why take the risk if in the position to go on and strengthen it. I would go EFR 6758 over my K04 if an easy tune option were out there. The TTE420 is another consideration for myself given that APR does have a tune for that one. Considering either of those two because I love the early rev torque of the K04 and am certain I would not enjoy BT lag.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Nicely done work there. I too thought APR originally dialed back the power for their stage 3 when they first put it together in order to safe-guard the internals, or rather to eliminate the need for internal upgrading. But I get it, why take the risk if in the position to go on and strengthen it. I would go EFR 6758 over my K04 if an easy tune option were out there. The TTE420 is another consideration for myself given that APR does have a tune for that one. Considering either of those two because I love the early rev torque of the K04 and am certain I would not enjoy BT lag.

Have you seen the curve on the TTE? It looks like it's actually not that much fun, even though peak power is higher compared to a k04. I've never gotten a chance to ride in a car that has one reasonable. There is a b5 s4 with a pair of them near me but that's a totally different tune, car, motor, so I've always felt like it wasn't a great comparison.