GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch bleeding assistance please :)

Mshawnbauer

Passed Driver's Ed
So I replaced my master cylinder on the clutch pedal and now need to bleed the clutch/brake system. I capped the resvoir and pumped the pedal a few times but I’m not building any pressure and the resvoir still looks full? I know it’s all tied into the brakes as well but my battery is out and my brake pedal is hard as a rock. Is there a solidly DIY for bleeding this system? I can’t find one and my research is random, some say I need a special tool, others say I don’t.. I just wanna put her back together and drive! Thank you VERY much in advance!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
You using a pressure bleeder?

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
So I replaced my master cylinder on the clutch pedal and now need to bleed the clutch/brake system. I capped the resvoir and pumped the pedal a few times but I’m not building any pressure and the resvoir still looks full? I know it’s all tied into the brakes as well but my battery is out and my brake pedal is hard as a rock. Is there a solidly DIY for bleeding this system? I can’t find one and my research is random, some say I need a special tool, others say I don’t.. I just wanna put her back together and drive! Thank you VERY much in advance!

Not sure you can bleed it without a pressure bleeder on those cars

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Someone posted recently about the car needing to be on a flat surface to bleed the clutch properly when doing a manual bleed.

That being said I used a motive power bleeder and it took under 5 minutes to do and had no air in the lines.

Mshawnbauer

Passed Driver's Ed
You using a pressure bleeder?

so THIS is pretty easy with the Motive pressure bleeder, right?! put fluid in the motive, screw motive cal/hose to the brake fluid on the resv, pressurize, pump the clutch pedal, open the bleeder wait for no bubbles, close - test and repeat if necessary?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Some people use the Motive pressure bleeder to pressurize the system without brake fluid, but then you will have to keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir so that it does not drop past the clutch line and let air in.

If you are going to use brake fluid you want to make sure that you have no pressure leaks before you put brake fluid into the pressure bleeder or you will have a big mess if you have a leak during attaching the bleeder. Read instructions that come with the bleeder or get them from the web site.

And when you are done with bleeding the clutch or brakes if you tilt the bleeder so the siphon hose is out of the fluid you can the drop down the reservoir level by the clutch bleeder or brake bleeder and then depressurize the bleeder and remove the cap for the reservoir without the mess.

Mshawnbauer

Passed Driver's Ed
Alrighty! Thank you, all of you for your assistance! I finished up tonight. I got the motive pressure bleeder, European edition. And followed the above instructions. Everything seemed to work fine but I had the battery out (to replace the master cylinder) and didn’t realize I needed to start the car to charge the system or something to make it
All work (I shine cars, not fix em, lol) anywho one I put the battery back in the clutch popped out and seems to be working great! I’m not positive but it might feel a bit lighter than before (it could be in my head, it’s not major) but should I rebleed with more pressure? I read don’t do more than 10 psi but then also above it says 2 bar!?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Alrighty! Thank you, all of you for your assistance! I finished up tonight. I got the motive pressure bleeder, European edition. And followed the above instructions. Everything seemed to work fine but I had the battery out (to replace the master cylinder) and didn’t realize I needed to start the car to charge the system or something to make it
All work (I shine cars, not fix em, lol) anywho one I put the battery back in the clutch popped out and seems to be working great! I’m not positive but it might feel a bit lighter than before (it could be in my head, it’s not major) but should I rebleed with more pressure? I read don’t do more than 10 psi but then also above it says 2 bar!?
On the Golf 5 you can pressurize above 2 bars without issues but it doesn't seem to be needed for the clutch. I did it using 1 and 2 bars worked well each time. However it might be helpful for the brakes which take longer. Not sure if more pressure will help getting more air out but if you rebleed try with 2 bars, there are no risks.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I pressurized to ~21psi, the clutch line moved a lot of fluid at that pressure. Air was quickly evacuated from the brake lines. I saw no need for more.