GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Go all in or move on?

MKV_365

Looking to the community for some perspective on this one and some info from those that are more experienced. Thanks in advance to those of you that make it through this long post! I guess I’ll start with some background so you understand how I’m approaching this and cover the details after.

I am the third owner and the car has been well maintained. I have every service record (including receipts for oil purchased to do oil changes) since first owner and even the original window sticker. It’s been fairly reliable in the 5yrs and ~140k mi that I’ve had it . The only mods I’ve done are some DG springs, HID fog conversion, LED interior lighting and a stage 1 APR tune a few years back.

Wife and I just got married in March. We cash flowed the wedding and honeymoon and since April we’ve paid off all of our debt (48k in 8 months – different long story put PM me for anyone that wants to talk that). What that means though, is other things, like the cars have been neglected (other than basic maintenance, plugs and coils recently). I have a long commute for work, a little over 100mi round trip/day, and my car - 2007 GTI (4D dsg autobahn votex kit), is now at 243,XXX miles on the clock. Over time I have now picked up a list of some simple but, some more costly fixes:

· Just had a headlight bulb go out on me so I’ll change that this week

· Front Passenger CV Boot

· Had a storm that completely ripped out the ballast and wiring for front Hid Fog – need to replace

· Votex factory lip damaged so I ordered and new one but, need to get in painted and installed (although I’ve been liking the ground clearance)

· Hood release latch is broken but, still functioning – still would like to fix it though

· BIG ONE – factory K03 is finally giving up and needs to be replaced – trying to decide on K04 or just replace factory turbo

Now for the caveat. I have an issue with my transmission that I just can seem to pin down even after taking to the dealer a few different times. This has been off and on forever it seems now. While I’m driving and sitting at a stop light in traffic with my foot on the brake for a long period, I get the “flash of death” in the gauge cluster and the transmission disengages. I do not get this issue if it is in park or if I put the car in neutral. The transmission does do anything while I’m actually on the move. I don’t have any issues going into reverse, changing gears manually etc. It seems to be more of an issue at higher temps but, I can’t say for sure. I’ve gone through the forums and seen everything from a sensor replacement to shift boot to paddles to mechatronics unit (this one was replaced during second owner under warranty). If anyone has something more definitive or similar experience it would be great.

The wife, thank goodness, is understanding about the situation and is cool with spending the money to remedy the turbo situation and but, the conversation becomes different depending on what this transmission problem becomes. The whole depreciation/throwing money away thing really isn’t a thing at this point because I put so many miles on that I’ll destroy anything new and we have no plans on getting back into debt right now so a “new” car would basically need to be give or take 5-7k cash for now until we get some other things in life done. I’d rather get the car fixed and keep my GTI rather than get a beater Honda and I’ll probably pick up a late model F10 M5 in a couple years (another story) but, this is where I’m looking for some unclouded opinions.

What would you do?

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
It's time to start looking around...

Our cars are going on 11 years old now. My MKV has only 74XXX on it so I'm holding on and maintaining for now. I just read an article on a financial site that the optimum car ownership arrangement is "buy a 5 year old car that has averaged 12XXX a year on the odo and drive it for two years, sell it, and do that again" This is supposed to be the cheapest mode of car ownership all things considered (maintenance, new car depreciation factor, break/fix factor etc.) We have deviated far from this because of an emotional attachment to these cars. Maybe time to step back and take eurocars advice. Just because your wife goes along with the money you would spend on this car doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. She loves you after all. And the car is just a machine. Now an older one with higher mileage and known expensive issues. It's not a Morgan classic roadster or such either...
P.S. The 26mpg (in Premium) must be killing you too!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Looking to the community for some perspective on this one and some info from those that are more experienced. Thanks in advance to those of you that make it through this long post! I guess I’ll start with some background so you understand how I’m approaching this and cover the details after.

I am the third owner and the car has been well maintained. I have every service record (including receipts for oil purchased to do oil changes) since first owner and even the original window sticker. It’s been fairly reliable in the 5yrs and ~140k mi that I’ve had it . The only mods I’ve done are some DG springs, HID fog conversion, LED interior lighting and a stage 1 APR tune a few years back.

Wife and I just got married in March. We cash flowed the wedding and honeymoon and since April we’ve paid off all of our debt (48k in 8 months – different long story put PM me for anyone that wants to talk that). What that means though, is other things, like the cars have been neglected (other than basic maintenance, plugs and coils recently). I have a long commute for work, a little over 100mi round trip/day, and my car - 2007 GTI (4D dsg autobahn votex kit), is now at 243,XXX miles on the clock. Over time I have now picked up a list of some simple but, some more costly fixes:

· Just had a headlight bulb go out on me so I’ll change that this week

· Front Passenger CV Boot

· Had a storm that completely ripped out the ballast and wiring for front Hid Fog – need to replace

· Votex factory lip damaged so I ordered and new one but, need to get in painted and installed (although I’ve been liking the ground clearance)

· Hood release latch is broken but, still functioning – still would like to fix it though

· BIG ONE – factory K03 is finally giving up and needs to be replaced – trying to decide on K04 or just replace factory turbo

Now for the caveat. I have an issue with my transmission that I just can seem to pin down even after taking to the dealer a few different times. This has been off and on forever it seems now. While I’m driving and sitting at a stop light in traffic with my foot on the brake for a long period, I get the “flash of death” in the gauge cluster and the transmission disengages. I do not get this issue if it is in park or if I put the car in neutral. The transmission does do anything while I’m actually on the move. I don’t have any issues going into reverse, changing gears manually etc. It seems to be more of an issue at higher temps but, I can’t say for sure. I’ve gone through the forums and seen everything from a sensor replacement to shift boot to paddles to mechatronics unit (this one was replaced during second owner under warranty). If anyone has something more definitive or similar experience it would be great.

The wife, thank goodness, is understanding about the situation and is cool with spending the money to remedy the turbo situation and but, the conversation becomes different depending on what this transmission problem becomes. The whole depreciation/throwing money away thing really isn’t a thing at this point because I put so many miles on that I’ll destroy anything new and we have no plans on getting back into debt right now so a “new” car would basically need to be give or take 5-7k cash for now until we get some other things in life done. I’d rather get the car fixed and keep my GTI rather than get a beater Honda and I’ll probably pick up a late model F10 M5 in a couple years (another story) but, this is where I’m looking for some unclouded opinions.

What would you do?

Congratulation on reaching 243,000 miles without a major failure. My opinion , you will have a major failure eventually, and statistically (and based on your description of the trans behavior) it will happen sooner rather than later. That failure will have a price tag that is going to be a lot more than the car is worth. And fixing the trans, still leaves the motor. You have truly gotten all you can out of that car, I would move on before it consumes you financially and get something new or newer. It is an unavoidable expense and you are better off putting the money in a much newer car. Sell the car to someone who wants a project and get a few bucks out of it.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Obviously I am very biased, but at the same time, if you have $5k- $7k to spend on a new car you could literally rebuild your MKV. Grab a new/reman trans and a used lower mileage motor, slap a K04 on it and call it a day. You'd still be under $7k at that point and you have a practically new car. Anything after that is just routine maintenance you'd have to do on any car you bought for sub $7k. This is also based on your cars body and chassis being in good shape (which based on your description it sounds like it is). Of course, this is assuming you absolutely love your car and just don't want to part ways. If it's just a car to you and you aren't emotionally invested sell it and bump your price range up a bit and get a good used car for around $10k.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm sure Das Gespenst wants another one.

MKV_365

sell it, buy a MK4 TDI. I have roughly the same commute distance and mileage on my daily (MK4 golf, gas). If I could have afforded to buy a TDI I would have saved a ton already in fuel costs and maintenance is less expensive

I'll look into this. Never really thought about the TDI route honestly. No issues with the money on gas though.

MKV_365

Our cars are going on 11 years old now. My MKV has only 74XXX on it so I'm holding on and maintaining for now. I just read an article on a financial site that the optimum car ownership arrangement is "buy a 5 year old car that has averaged 12XXX a year on the odo and drive it for two years, sell it, and do that again" This is supposed to be the cheapest mode of car ownership all things considered (maintenance, new car depreciation factor, break/fix factor etc.) We have deviated far from this because of an emotional attachment to these cars. Maybe time to step back and take eurocars advice. Just because your wife goes along with the money you would spend on this car doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. She loves you after all. And the car is just a machine. Now an older one with higher mileage and known expensive issues. It's not a Morgan classic roadster or such either...
P.S. The 26mpg (in Premium) must be killing you too!

That is an interesting bit of advice and makes sense and that's where I'm at this point in my ownership (well overdue by a few years lol). It's not a matter of love with the wife.. she wants it in the 5 year plan to have a driver because she hates it that much :iono:

I guess at this point I was thinking along the same lines as @Das Gespenst especially given the mileage I'm driving but the thought of getting something newer does intrigue me.

p.s. I'd daily a hellcat if that's what I wanted... no limit's because of gas over here :thumbsup:

p.p.s. I guess this whole thing is weird for me because we live so far below our means that something like keeping a car this old running vs a newer one requires a thread to talk some sense into me.. not really good at this stuff :lol:

MKV_365

Obviously I am very biased, but at the same time, if you have $5k- $7k to spend on a new car you could literally rebuild your MKV. Grab a new/reman trans and a used lower mileage motor, slap a K04 on it and call it a day. You'd still be under $7k at that point and you have a practically new car. Anything after that is just routine maintenance you'd have to do on any car you bought for sub $7k. This is also based on your cars body and chassis being in good shape (which based on your description it sounds like it is). Of course, this is assuming you absolutely love your car and just don't want to part ways. If it's just a car to you and you aren't emotionally invested sell it and bump your price range up a bit and get a good used car for around $10k.

This is what I was thinking initially.. the question is tho.. what to get into at 10k? I mean I'm not tied to this particular but I don't know that there is a better all round package that'll be any newer at this price point. I am open to something completely different though :help:

Speedr

My personal opinion is to keep the car as a project ($2K investment of DSG and used K03?) and get something more reasonable as a daily driver for $5K. But then again, not sure how old your are or if you have kids. For $5-7K IMO you're not going to get much that be an improvement over what you already have performance/fun wise, but you could certainly get something more efficient and reliable (Older 2nd gen Insight Prius, Civic, Truck for utility?)

I can only accept having 1 car to do both duties if its significantly nicer ($20Kish range for a used Golf R, IS350 or something).

I'm in a similar boat to you and decided on the 2 car route. The difference is that in my case I have a 2014 Honda Insight for my 100 mile daily commute that I bought new years ago and was looking for a project car (Around $5->$6K budget). In my 6 years of marriage, its taken about 5 years to convince my wife that a project car is needed for my sanity :lol: .

As a result I purchased my 2006 GTI Stg2 with 208K miles last month for $3700. I've decided to put about $2K into it for maintenance (parts only as I will do the work) over this winter and use the car as a partial commuter during the spring / summer / fall months to insert a little fun into my commute + autocross or whatever.

Not sure this will work out long term, but can always sell the GTI and Insight + cash to get something better if needed.