GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking Noise

sumofish

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello All,

I Have an 09 GTI and when i am idle at a light the engine starts to rattle and click. When I accelerate the clicking/rattle noise goes away.

Also if i put the car in neutral the noise rattle goes away.

Anyone know what it could be? I hopefully its not the defective chain tensioner

Thanks

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
If it is the tensioner please get it fixed asap. I am in for a tension service just because I know the part is faulty on our 2009's. I'm getting tensioner, chain,guides,rails all redone for $1100.. Seems like a lot but if that tensioner goes it will destroy your entire engine. Take care of it the sooner the better!

sumofish

Passed Driver's Ed
I just called a local shop and they quoted me $1400 for everything. Chains, Tensioners, guides, and rails.

I have about 87k on my GTI. After I get all this done I should not be worried about anything with the timing chain for awhile?

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
I'm pretty sure you'll be good for the rest of the time you have the car. But I'm no professional and also depends on how you drive the car.

Like I said, for our cars. Getting that replaced is a MUST and should be done ASAP. I'm doing mine at 50k miles and I have no signs or noises of it needing to be replaced. I have just done research and this could eventually become a major problem if it doesn't get replaced. Literally a time bomb.

As to the $1400 price tag. That's normal at a dealership. I am avoiding the dealership for this because I have a very trust shop in the area who will do it for $300 less.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have about 87k on my GTI. After I get all this done I should not be worried about anything with the timing chain for awhile?

Yes

As for other engine "issues" with the TSI....a carbon cleaning (of the valves) and a new(er) PCV would be good ideas too, if you haven't already done those.

Carbon cleaning is needed from the direct injection and will lead to misfires/rough running. Doing it will restore some power & a smooth running engine again

PCV can fail and if that does, the rear main seal can/will fail and lead to a costlier repair. So changing that ahead of time with the newest revision saves a lot of headaches/trouble