GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wierd Cold start noise

Wijesunde

FIXED - Wierd Cold start noise

My gti started doin this wierd noise on cold startup.
only 20sec sec after start then its the normal idling noise
Cambelt kit changed 6000km ago
Camfallower and dumpvalve changed 3000km ago
Changed the cam chain and all the parts that comes with it (adjuster etc) because the noise coming from this area where the hpfp and vacuum pump.
+oil change with filter castrol 5w40 but same wierd noise on cold start or when car have seated more than 8hours.

I get no errors in vagcom..
If i unplug the maf sensor before starting i dont get the noise

https://youtu.be/19_gA108KiQ

Any help on this one guys?:mad0259:

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
My gti started doin this wierd noise on cold startup.
only 20sec sec after start then its the normal idling noise
Cambelt kit changed 6000km ago
Camfallower and dumpvalve changed 3000km ago
Changed the cam chain and all the parts that comes with it (adjuster etc) because the noise coming from this area where the hpfp and vacuum pump.
+oil change with filter castrol 5w40 but same wierd noise on cold start or when car have seated more than 8hours.

I get no errors in vagcom..
If i unplug the maf sensor before starting i dont get the noise

https://youtu.be/19_gA108KiQ

Any help on this one guys?:mad0259:
Seems very strange indeed, like if it was coming from the valves lacking lubrification until the oil pressure is built. You might want to try a different brand, in my opinion Castrol has a better marketing department than research department but it should be OK if it's an approved oil. What is the temperature? You also might want to try a lower viscosity like 0w30

Wijesunde

It doesnt makes the noise loud as before like in the video
But i am gonna take the oil pan down and change the oil pickup line..i think its clogged but the oil pressure is still good..heard this car doesnt gives any oil pressure messages during cold starts?

Wijesunde

Okay wtf i am lost..
Since 2 days ive been parking my car at my workplace (outdoor parking) and i start the car in the morning (-1c verycold) i get no noise at all all smooth..

If i park at my house( in garage) i get the noise like in the video
Could it be the flywheel bearing?maf sensor?

Last edited: