GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leak next to the oil pan

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
That's your rear main seal. You need to remove the transaxle to replace it. Unless it is dripping and wet your ok. Even when it's dripping, it's not a big problem unless you're getting pools under the car while it's running.

Best way to double check if it's the rear main seal is to see if the drips form when the engine is running or right after you turn the engine off. Then leave it over night and there shouldn't be a significantly larger pool. If there is, it could be something other than the rear main seal. The rear main seal tends to leak as the crankshaft is turning of course because this is sealing the crankshaft.

The only reason I changed mine is because I got kicked off the track when the starting marshall noticed my trail and decided it was unfair to other competitors following behind me... Besides that it's just a top-up and go situation.

Lordpns

Rear main Seal Leak

Hello guys!
I have a BKD 2.0L TDI with nearly 300,000k on the clock.
I had massive leaks and the clutch start slipping, I removed the gearbox and the housing was full of oil, even the starter motor was covered with oil. So I start cleaning the area then I replaced the rear main seal along with the flywheel and the clutch kit. then I replaced the rocker cover gasket, the oil sump seal,tHe tandem pump gasket and pretty much everything in that area. when I start the car for the first time I checked for leaks and I couldn't see anything e days after it start leaking again. from the top everything is dry it looks like its coming form the rear main seal again and it is about the same amount of oil. its definitely engine oil.

What am I missing guys? what else could it be?