GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 suspension on Mk5

EdMaan23

Hello this is my first post and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2007 Rabbit that I'm looking into getting coilovers for and I was wondering if coilovers for a mk6 golf would work on my car. I've looked around here and other places online and couldn't seem to get a straight answer as to wether or not parts were backwards compatible but they did appear forward compatible.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes...spring rate differs due to vehicle weight, but the MK5 is heavier...so the car may feel softer with MK6 spring rates and dampers.

You thinking of purchasing a used set I presume?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
You can swap golf variant mk5 and Mk6 suspensions around easily but like Roh Echt noted, the spring and struts will have different values based on the intended applications - awd, 2 or 4 door, auto or manual etc. the differences are slight but they do exist. Depends on your overall intent for the car - just as a daily I'm sure it'll be okay. E.g. My sister's rabbit has mk6 golf suspension on it and it rides fine for a daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yeah I found a guy that bought a used golf that put the stock suspension back on and it almost just giving away the coilovers.

Go ahead and grab them if just wanting to lower without expectations of performance supremacy. :thumbsup:

The Coils probably will upgrade the performance some regardless...COG and all. Anti-Sway Bars(ASB) will help as well. Just a rear ASB is a noticeable transformation in the twisties. If you do switch sway bars later, give your self time to grow with them. They will keep the car flatter but the point of traction loss isn't telegraphed like they are with stock bars...it just happens when going much faster in the curves. Try sticking with the same tires as well. Plus, you may want to begin at the softest setting and work up to their stiffer positions. ←All is mute if just wanting lower. :thumbsup:

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep no problem. I have MK6 Ohlins coilovers on my MK5. Same spring/damper rates and manufacturer part/model no. for both cars.

The only signifcant difference will be between 4WD and FWD models, but even then 70nm front, 60nm rear is a pretty standard rate for coilovers for all variants.

Make sure you use aftermarket top mounts like 034. OEM mounts squeak with aftermarket dampers, including TT/RS3 ones.