GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burnt out Bulb indicator light

joelextra

over the last few days the burnt out bulb indicator light has been intermittently coming on then going out on my MK5 Rabbit... I have checked every bulb I can think of and they're all still lighting as normal. Any ideas on one I may have missed?

All side markers and turning indicators work along with high low daytime running lights. I don't have the foglight option and can't find any other potential bulbs that could possibly be tripping the computer.

thoughts?

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Sounds like a bad/intermittent lamp base connection. Try this: Get ready for the next occurrence by having something handy to use to depress the brake pedal (anything from a toilet plunger to a PVC stick or a piece of stud wood that you can wedge between the front of your seat and the brake pedal). Check your running lights in front while the brake is off. With your parking brake now on and preferably rear wheels chocked, put the trans in reverse. (If yours is a manual, you'll need a second wedge stick to depress the clutch as well while you do this). Turn your headlights on with the dash switch and the interior courtesy lights as well. Now just walk around and look while the Lamp out warning is lit on the dash. The brake lights and reverse lights should now be lit.You'll find it. Be persistent. Good luck. If you have a person handy to do the brake and reverse operation even better of course.

joelextra

Sounds like a bad/intermittent lamp base connection. Try this: Get ready for the next occurrence by having something handy to use to depress the brake pedal (anything from a toilet plunger to a PVC stick or a piece of stud wood that you can wedge between the front of your seat and the brake pedal). Check your running lights in front while the brake is off. With your parking brake now on and preferably rear wheels chocked, put the trans in reverse. (If yours is a manual, you'll need a second wedge stick to depress the clutch as well while you do this). Turn your headlights on with the dash switch and the interior courtesy lights as well. Now just walk around and look while the Lamp out warning is lit on the dash. The brake lights and reverse lights should now be lit.You'll find it. Be persistent. Good luck. If you have a person handy to do the brake and reverse operation even better of course.

I'll try this with my wife tonight and see if I can trace it out. Also going to check the rear brake light wiring harness as someone mentioned their 08 Jetta had an issue where the bulbs would become loose over time and intermittently trip the light sensor

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
I'll try this with my wife tonight and see if I can trace it out. Also going to check the rear brake light wiring harness as someone mentioned their 08 Jetta had an issue where the bulbs would become loose over time and intermittently trip the light sensor
Any update on this?