GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 ET45 - Will it "poke"

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, getting real close to ordering a set of VMR v710s. I was originally going to go with the Neuspeed RSE10, but with the added cost of new TPMS sensors, its just making it too much out of my budget.

I love the design of the wheels but my only concern is the 8.5" width. I'm not super concerned about rubbing as im only on Eibach Pro Kits, and still have 1.5-2 finger widths of clearance. However, I'm not generally a fan of "poke" for lack of a better term. At most I would want the side of the wheel/tire to be flush with the fender. I could probably tolerate a mm or two, but even then it would probably annoy the crap out of me.

I've done a couple hours worth of googling, looking through their official pictures and what not and I *think* its going to be really close. General concensus from text posts is it will be pretty much flush or ever so slight poke.

I was curious if anyone had any pictures that show how "flush" or "pokey" it might be?

Edit: I have ZERO desire to introduce any kind of camber adjustments to make it tuck or whatever.

Edit 2: I will be running 225/40/18 Sumitomo HTR ZIII's, which I understand run a wee bit wide compared to the Hankook Ventus V12

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
If you wanted Neuspeeds I would keep saving. I have VMR 705s and they're not that light. I love how the car looks but definitely not as light of a wheel as it could have been.

Also if you ever use spacers and OEM center caps, the caps won't sit tight w/ spacers on the VMRs because of the design of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I ran VMR V710's and am now running Neuspeed RSe12, the few pounds difference is noticeable. That being said the VMR wheel is good looking and I clobbered some potholes without a bend or crack.

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate the input. I'm not ultra concerned about the weight at this point. My current wheel is bordering on 30lbs (denver's! yeah!). So, this is still going to be a GIANT improvement in weight reduction. I honestly at this point can't justify 2.2k+ between the neuspeeds, tires, TPMS sensors, mount/balance, shipping, etc. Especially after just spending almost 1100 on the suspension.

I know the neuspeeds are much lighter and stronger, but this is a daily driver, at the end of the day the VMR are giving me a substantial 7-8lb a wheel unsprung weight savings, they look good, and from everything i've read they're pretty strong, etc.

Edit: I won't be using spacers.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
I'd recommend looking at OZ wheels, and running 245mm wide tires.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3817845&postcount=48

I appreciate the input. I'm not ultra concerned about the weight at this point. My current wheel is bordering on 30lbs (denver's! yeah!). So, this is still going to be a GIANT improvement in weight reduction. I honestly at this point can't justify 2.2k+ between the neuspeeds, tires, TPMS sensors, mount/balance, shipping, etc. Especially after just spending almost 1100 on the suspension.

I know the neuspeeds are much lighter and stronger, but this is a daily driver, at the end of the day the VMR are giving me a substantial 7-8lb a wheel unsprung weight savings, they look good, and from everything i've read they're pretty strong, etc.

Edit: I won't be using spacers.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
If you plan on running a tire square to the wheel yes it will poke. I'm running 245-sections on an 18x8.5 et45 and it takes camber to make it fit without rubbing at the track.

This is on stock suspension

This is on KW VIII's an camber plates set at two degrees

Two degrees all around is the magic number that makes it work. This happened at Mosport at 1.5 degrees in the back

Granted this is under extreme load at the track. On the road you can kind of do anything

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I completely agree with -2 being a good setting. I'm around the same height with Bilstien pss10s and have my alignment set to -1.9 front and -2.1 rears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmfracer

Ready to race!
As mentioned, with 245mm wide tires you will need front camber plates. I run Vorshlag's setup - here's a picture:

This is right after I changed to my current setup, the car has settled since and is a bit lower now (I need to take a picture as it sits now):

red.07.gti

Hey guys, getting real close to ordering a set of VMR v710s. I was originally going to go with the Neuspeed RSE10, but with the added cost of new TPMS sensors, its just making it too much out of my budget.

I love the design of the wheels but my only concern is the 8.5" width. I'm not super concerned about rubbing as im only on Eibach Pro Kits, and still have 1.5-2 finger widths of clearance. However, I'm not generally a fan of "poke" for lack of a better term. At most I would want the side of the wheel/tire to be flush with the fender. I could probably tolerate a mm or two, but even then it would probably annoy the crap out of me.

I've done a couple hours worth of googling, looking through their official pictures and what not and I *think* its going to be really close. General concensus from text posts is it will be pretty much flush or ever so slight poke.

I was curious if anyone had any pictures that show how "flush" or "pokey" it might be?

Edit: I have ZERO desire to introduce any kind of camber adjustments to make it tuck or whatever.

Edit 2: I will be running 225/40/18 Sumitomo HTR ZIII's, which I understand run a wee bit wide compared to the Hankook Ventus V12

not sure where your getting your sensors from, but check out shopdap.com they where the cheapest genuine vw when i bought mine.
good luck... below are some shots of mine hope they help

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
So here's what I've decided to do. I'm gonna go with the neuspeeds. Since I still have 7/32's on my front and 5/32's on my rear current Nitto Motivos. I'm just going to buy the wheels, pay for the removal, mount and balance and such of the TPMS sensors and tires from the current wheels to the new ones. Once winter hits, i'll pick up a set of winter tires of some sort for the old denvers and just deal with the TPMS light during the winter. Once next summer (2018) hits i'll buy the Sumitomo HTR ZIII's for the neuspeeds and call it good.

This way I get the wheels I want and I stagger all the costs instead of dropping 2200+ all at once.

The *other* option is there is a 2015 Lapiz Blue DSG Golf R up in Denver for ~32k.......

Yeah car payments are bad.